Author Topic: '51 Frazer parts - ouch!  (Read 2429 times)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: '51 Frazer parts - ouch!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »
Probably a reasonable price.

Here's a price list from a plater I used and I was told by my painter he was much more reasonable than another he knows. Price varies according to what they have to start with.
http://www.thechromeshop.com/automotive-price-list/

The guy above did an outstanding job on my parts but does bumpers strictly by eye, hammer work, grinding & filling.

I ended up using these guys for bumpers since they have all the tools, jigs & profiles to straighten bumpers back to the 30's. A little over $800 each delivered, they don't do small parts.
https://www.blackburnwheels.com/
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 07:07:17 PM »
 Blackburn does bumpers?

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:18:40 AM »
Blackburn does bumpers?

Yes, they have all the specialized equipment, profiles & and a skilled crew that did a really nice job on mine and a buddy's set.

Ed Cogar is the go to guy there.
His email is : edc@blackburnwheels.com

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 08:24:44 AM »
Please tell me you are referencing Blackburn in Macedonia, Ohio?
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »
Please tell me you are referencing Blackburn in Macedonia, Ohio?

Yes.

I'm guessing their bumper operations are a leftover from the chrome bumper era and the wheels are their main product now. It was about an 8 week turnaround for mine. Like I mentioned above, they don't do small parts.

njpatera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 11:16:36 AM »
Good to know...They are only about a 1/2 hour from me and I never knew they did bumpers!
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon

Member #5954

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 09:54:37 AM »
As of two weeks ago, Blackburn’s no longer does bumpers. They sold that part of the business to an industrial plater.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 06:20:58 PM »
Swapped emails with Ed today and the new owner of their equipment does indeed only take industrial orders.

He said Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio might be worth a try though.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »
Custom Chrome quoted $1500 apiece to do the work. I politely declined. We have another plater in town who’s about half that so I’ll try them.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »
Custom Chrome quoted $1500 apiece to do the work. I politely declined. We have another plater in town who’s about half that so I’ll try them.

Wow, that's pretty steep unless your bumpers are terribly banged up & pitted. I saw on their site they have a two tier pricing system for leaving some scratches & pits, then for "show quality". Can't help but wonder how subjective that could be, and if it's really meant to steer customers to their top dollar prices.

The bumpers I brought to the Chrome Shop were badly pitted in places and he quoted me $950 when he saw them, and didn't have jigs & profile specs for straightening. At that point I got different bumpers, still bent but far less pitting. Both shops delivered beautiful chrome, it's a shame Blackburn got out of the business.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:56:23 PM by MarkH »

njpatera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 05:18:10 PM »
Unfortunately the guy in Grafton has always been expensive 😫
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon

Member #5954

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
It seems you folk once again need an education on the chrome process

When the plated part is originally fabricated, it is usually a die cast piece made from a Zinc-based alloy (ZA3 grade works the best, ZA10 is virtually unplatable).  Even with a high pressure die cast machine (more pusing of the metal through the die than with typical die casting process) the metal flow carries tiny bits of debris, air or "gas" through the die creating sub surface pockets or caverning that can normally only be detected with X-ray or other equipment.  Over the course of time, the metal breathes (so to speak) due to the impact of summer heat and winter cold.  These pockets try to "escape" so they generally work their way towards the surface.  When they break through the metal surface there is little resistance to the microscopic layers of plating process and you get "pitting" each time a pocket breaks through.

Before you attempt to replate a part the piece should be stripped (either chemically or by careful griding by an experienced, trained operator) of the old plating material and down as far as possible to get a smooth surface with no dips or bumps.  The good plater will then start the copper buff/copper strike method of plating using HEXVALENT chrome rather than TRIVALENT (the latter works well for things like faucets but does not stand up to the weather and is not the real shiny stuff). 

After the copper strike as a base, the part is carefully buffed by an experienced, trained operator.  He (or she) gets the copper warmed by the friction of the buffinbg wheel and it can be spread to further smooth out all surface issued and even fill in some of the new pits.  After that the hexvalent chrome is attached by electroplating process wither the material is literally bound tightly to the copper base.  The thickness of the chrome level is less than an eggshell.  The chrome is then buffed out by an experiuenced, trained operator to get it to an agreed to standard for lusture and overall quality.    That often is good for at least several years before the chemical reaction I described earlier creates a new crop of pits and you have to start all over.

The EPA requirements on chrome platers (especially those using "hex" chrome) are stringent and ridgidly enforced.  Hexvalent chrome is especialy toxic and needs to be accounted for to insure stuff does not get spilled, dumped or otherwise disappears.  The cost of maintaining the plating system and the cost of the materials used (especially copper as you have to fill the vat the part is dipped in) continues to rise.  The little guys were driven out of the business over the last 20 or so years & the survivors are for the most part platers who do large scale work (like wheels for cars and trucks) because of the cost of making the special brackets and hangars that hold the parts in place during the various stages of the plating process.  Like so many things, the unit cost of materials and labor are not all that much but the set-up charges can be a killer.

Jack Mueller
Quality Improvement Manager
Kentucky Decorative Metals (KEN-DEC) October 2000 - December 2006
Customers included General Motors P&A, Honda of America, and Whirlpool Corporation divisions

njpatera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 09:39:35 PM »
Familiar with the process. Yes EPA stuck their nose in it...but still doesn’t change the fact that replating is and has been expensive. Particularly Grafton. Very familiar with him and his work which is damn good.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:41:31 PM by njpatera »
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon

Member #5954

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 10:06:08 PM »
Nope, don't need an education. It boils down to a few simple facts, it's an art that few know and fewer shops are interested in doing.