Author Topic: Power steering and power brakes  (Read 1300 times)

johny

• View Profile
    • Email
Power steering and power brakes
« on: March 29, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
I recently repurchased a 1949 Kasier Special and am thinking about adding power steering and brakes and wondering how difficult the projects may be and how practical it is to add both?.  Would love to hear how members have done both or at least power steering.  What are your recommendations?

Thank you,

Johny

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Power steering and power brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
I know We Have has Members do Both. Some Models had Power Stearing but not till early 50’s.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 01:12:54 PM »
In 1953, power steering was offered as an option on the Dragon. It later became available on the 1954 and '55 Manhattan models. The version used employed a ram style cylinder produced by Monroe I believe. Later Ramblers used something similar. I doubt the unit used in the later Kaisers would be usable on the earlier cars due to frame and suspension differences. If power steering is desired, I'd look at what GM used on their cars, perhaps something could be modified to use on your 49. I've seen a couple early series (47-50) cars with power steering, but they've also had drivetrain transplants as well.

Bendix produced a power brake system for use on KF automobiles. I have an NOS unit that wasn't stored well so it's not usable but does provide insight into the attempt KF made at adding power brakes, something just coming into norm in the 50s. If you change the master cylinder to hang on the firewall, aftermarket power brake units are more readily available. Ensuring you have enough vacuum to make them work would be another consideration.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »
I added both power steering and power brakes to my 1951 Frazer Manhattan. It has made such an improvement in driving. I added an 8 inch booster with dual chamber master cylinder. I made a bracket and bell crank assembly to mount to master cylinder in the stock location on the frame. The master cylinder is a 1 inch bore and was for disc brakes with no residual check valves, so I added 10 psi valves to the front and rear lines. I added another fitting at the intake for vacuum and plumbed it to the booster. I am using the stock drums and brakes, hoses, and wheel cylinders all new or rebuilt. The car stops like a dream even with the bias ply tires. The power steering is a Delphi steering gear from a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It most closely resembles the dimensions of the stock steering box. I used the Jeep pitman arm and use the stock center steering link and steering linkage. I had to heat and rebend the Jeep arm to duplicate the stock pitman arm angle. I also made a spacer to mount the power steering box to bolt onto the stock chassis. I also used larger grade 8 bolts to mount everything onto the frame. I made power steering pump mounts from steel stock, and mounted the pump on the left side top of the engine over the generator. I used a single belt. I used an Eaton style pump that is period correct from the 60's. Ford, AMC and several others used this style pump. I made my lines from braided stainless, and that's really the only give away at shows when knowledgeable folks ask about the power steering. I also had to modify the steering column because the steering shaft is now two piece from the steering wheel to the steering gear. That was actually the easiest part. The complete conversion was done on weekends and took about two months to design, fabricate , and install everything.These two improvements make driving the Manhattan a fun and enjoyable experience.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:02:21 PM »
Johny ,
You have come to the Right Place.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »
Quite impressive DTort96646 !
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 11:47:38 PM »
I don’t mind Modified for Driver Vehicle. But Safety improvements Like Brakes is Tempting.