Author Topic: Aero Master Cylinder  (Read 791 times)

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
Aero Master Cylinder
« on: June 18, 2019, 06:29:34 AM »
Is there a bolt in dual Master cylinder to replace the stock single unit. Staying with drum brakes for now. It is a 54  Thanks!

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Aero Master Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
I looked around quite a bit for one but never found anything that wouldn't have required more modification work than I wanted to put into it. Mostly what I saw were ones for either suspended pedals, or Jeep style flange mounted instead of Aero style through bolts, and side ports rather than the end.
I opted for an opaque remote reservoir to keep an eye on fluid, and an extra reserve in case something blows and I need to stab the pedal a few times to get stopped.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »
Thats my current setup too - found a reservoir off a Porsche that fits pretty well. I need to replace my leaking master cylinder, so thought I could upgrade at the same time. I think I better lube up my ebrake cable!!!!

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 09:18:15 PM »
……………….. I think I better lube up my ebrake cable!!!!

Ha! I've actually driven mine with the just the ebrake, but that was a long time ago.

One other thing I did do for (hopefully) more reliability was to have just the master cylinder sleeved in stainless. I sent one to Brake Equipment Warehouse in MN and my cost shows $133, that  likely included shipping.

Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu