Author Topic: type of frost plugs used  (Read 739 times)

51HenryJs

• View Profile
type of frost plugs used
« on: June 19, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »
I changed my frost plugs which are the cupped (?) type and they started to pop out and I was told I put them in backwards, convex in towards the block. Any advice/ pictures would be of help. I have rubber expansion plugs in now.

Vagabond Russ

• View Profile
Re: type of frost plugs used
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »
The bulge goes out.  Using a large 3/4" flat aluminum bar, tap the bulge in and the freeze plug will expand and stay in.  I use some #2 sealer on the hole before setting the disc.  Never had one leak.

51HenryJs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 11:36:32 AM »
Thanks, lots of people have told me that. Hope it helps someone else.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »
Using a large 3/4" flat aluminum bar, tap the bulge in and the freeze plug will expand and stay in

Yes that works.

If you don't have an aluminum bar you can also take a ball-peen hammer, place the ball end against the plug and hit the other end with a another larger hammer and that too will spread it out and seal nicely.   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:47:31 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 09:16:07 PM »
I've never heard the term "Frost Plugs", so I looked it up.   Here is what I found - "Core plugs are used to fill the sand casting core holes found on water-cooled internal combustion engines. They are also commonly called frost plugs, freeze plugs, or engine block expansion plugs".   I grew up in the midwest and we called them Freeze Plugs.

What I do know is that the terms Frost and Freeze plugs are a misnomer,  They will not push out if the water freezes in the block.  The block will crack if that happens.   This might be a regional term but Core Plugs tell you what they are in the name the way most parts are named.   Just an FYI.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)