Author Topic: Seats & belts  (Read 1033 times)

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Seats & belts
« on: July 28, 2019, 08:57:18 PM »
Upholstery shop finished the seats, so those went in as well as the shoulder belts.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seats & belts
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 10:07:37 AM »
Sweet!
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 02:15:12 PM »
You do realize that car didn't look that good when it was new!

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 05:43:20 PM »
Thanks! New..ish has been the goal. 

Now I'm trying to figure out if the front seat back side shields belong on my "early '54" or not. Hasn't had them since I owned it. Pictured is a '52 or 3 with my seat cloth pattern with them, and that super low mile '54 without them that was in Harrah's collection at one time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:44:59 PM by MarkH »

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 05:28:38 AM »
I was a seat belt engineer at GM for several years.
Knowing the monies and time spent in testing of belts, especially shoulder belts, to assure that the occupant is not injured or killed in an event, I would argue against any installation.
With the hundred of factors involved in the correct design, one could never properly place a shoulder belt merely because you think it makes sense!!!
N.B.  "submarineing" w/head decapitation is not pretty site
PS  lap belts are a different story

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
I was a seat belt engineer at GM for several years.
Knowing the monies and time spent in testing of belts, especially shoulder belts, to assure that the occupant is not injured or killed in an event, I would argue against any installation.
With the hundred of factors involved in the correct design, one could never properly place a shoulder belt merely because you think it makes sense!!!
N.B.  "submarineing" w/head decapitation is not pretty site
PS  lap belts are a different story

I've seen your comments previously on shoulder belts before...….point taken. I measured the mounting points carefully in several vehicles, surprisingly (or maybe not) they were all within about an inch of each other from a full size crew cab truck to a compact Saturn. I used those dimensions and some strap to mock up my points and test fit where the straps cross. That, and a math geek website where I found the load calculations for the three points helped a lot. What I'm not sure about is whether or not the B pillar metal gauge would meet current standards. That, and a non locking seat back.

Maybe I'm off a bit, maybe not. One thing for sure is my car has a big sternum crushing dome in the center of the wheel, mounted on a non collapsible steering column.
Without any restraint there's no chance that me or my grandsons will stay off that wheel in an accident. Now they've got a chance, at least up to a point.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 02:29:27 PM »
one big thing to consider--the crush rate, ie deceleration, is very different between cars and trucks--that all affects belt stretch and belt lock up and a myriad of factors
I would not ride with those belts
that's my 2 cents

PS  this forum group is notorious for defining minutiae of details in correct restoration, so I am using that same idea in describing this installation

in a way, you are saying "close enough" in regards for your safety, but I would not think many would  use that term in restoration details

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:32:40 PM by Terry T »

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 05:39:20 PM »
one big thing to consider--the crush rate, ie deceleration, is very different between cars and trucks--that all affects belt stretch and belt lock up and a myriad of factors
I would not ride with those belts
that's my 2 cents

PS  this forum group is notorious for defining minutiae of details in correct restoration, so I am using that same idea in describing this installation

in a way, you are saying "close enough" in regards for your safety, but I would not think many would  use that term in restoration details

My comparison measurements between vehicles was for belt geometry & anchor placement only. The similarity of which between the range of vehicles, I found surprising at first. The retractor model, belt stretch & deceleration factors I left up to the manufacturer I used, one of a few that seem to be thriving.

From the amount being sold & installed there must be failures, but I haven't read anything about them. However it's fairly common to read in Old Cars Weekly about someone getting killed crashing their vintage car, sometimes fairly minor (by modern standards) crashes.

The best way I can think of to describe my take on this is...... what if I was in a 60yr old airplane going down, and I had a choice between pulling the cord on a parachute packed by an amateur, or depending on the yoke & instrument panel to save me on impact.

I have no illusion about these being up to current DOT specs, I'm just looking to better the odds in a vintage car crash.

If we end up at a show and you want to take my car for a spin, you are welcome to not buckle in...……..there's no dinger to pester you.