Author Topic: Turning signals  (Read 1822 times)

TJ54

• View Profile
    • Email
Turning signals
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:24:52 PM »
Looking for help with turning signals for my 54 kaiser special. The one non working item on the car is the turning signals. I do have parking light and head lights,but no turning front or back. Trying to make them work. Any help with what I should check first and follow through to make operational. Thank You for any help.
Timothy Harris

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turning signals
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:13:36 PM »
Check your flasher unit first.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turning signals
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 06:49:17 PM »
Here are a few more things to try:

1.  Verify that all four turn signal bulbs are the proper #.  A mix of 6 volt turning bulbs will cause the flasher to blow, function erratically,  flash dim or flash slowly.

3.  Check the flasher.  If it does not look physically new (signs of corrosion, rust/oxidation, dents, etc) replace it.

4.  I am assuming that you already used a mirror, night time (dark) or another person to verify that the turn signals are not flashing with the key on.  If you have not, check this for the record...sometimes the pilot lights or the voltage regulator ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL (not the one under the hood) goes out causing an incorrect reading or no function.

5. There are additional tests that can be performed and are listed in the 1951 Kaiser and Frazer factory Shop Manual.  The directional signal wiring and components for an EARLY 1954 Special (1953 Kaiser interior, speedo, back window, etc) are the same as used in a 1951 Kaiser...only the turn signal plastics and chrome housings are different.