Author Topic: New Kaiser guy, lots of questions  (Read 21839 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Kaiser guy, lots of questions
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »
Joe Frazer, that's a great project--51 Frazer hardtop is very cool.  Looks like a lot of work!  Wildcat, very cool convertible, sounds fun to restore.  Yes, it's dry in Utah but salty in winter, which can mean the end of an otherwise good car.  My '66 Pontiac's quarter panels were so rusted you had to be careful or you would lose stuff out of the trunk!

Wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 10:27:26 AM »
So are these original?  If not I think it has already been converted to 12 volt.  They are on the drivers side firewall and they say "Voltage Regulator 12 volts to 6 volts".  It is wired into another box on the fire wall that has a fuse on it and to the ignition switch in the dash, not the starter button, but the keyed switch.  Also I pulled the radio out and it is a 12V negative ground unit.  I am fairly certain it is 12v, but I also don't want to throw a battery in it and cook a car that cant be replaced.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 03:36:17 PM »
Your voltage reducers are not original equipment. They probably date to the late 50s or early 60s.

Wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »
Cool, thanks.  Probably take a break from body work and run this thing this weekend.  All of my pre-run checks and maintenance are done so we should be good to go.

Wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 03:16:06 PM »
Great news gang, one more Kaiser is going to be back on the road soon.  Got the engine running, didn't move yet though, still have to go through the brake system before that happens.  A few notes though, the fuel pump is an aftermarket electric job mounted on the frame, not original, so where does the original fuel pump go?  It looks like there is a block off plate on the right side of the engine.  I'll probably stay with an electric for the sake of, well lets just say electric fuel pumps are where it's at, no offense to any purists out there, but I would like to get an original and mount it for the sake of looks.  I tried the rest of the electrical system, and well I've got my work cut out for me on that one.  60 year old wires are no fun.  I almost burned my 69 Oldsmobile to the ground so I am a little leery about original wires after that.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »
Since Kaisers are notorious for vapor-locking on hot days, I'd say you were wise to leave the electric pump on it.  You are correct, the original mounts on the passenger side of the engine, toward the front
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »
If you want the authentic look but modern drivability, might I suggest bolting on a dummy gas pump over the block off plate. A neat thing that a Studebaker guy did was have a hidden electrical pump with a hidden switch under the dash, then ran the gas line THROUGH the not working mechanical pump (it wasn't working, but he removed the actuator arm anyway) and out so that it LOOKED entirely stock. Never got caught out on judging as he set it up so that the gas went through the glassbowl as well. Means that he had to have working gaskets in all the spots necessary for a mechanical pump. Just a thought.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
Fuel system work time now, hate it.  I have my tank out because it needs to be sealed and
I figured it would be a good opportunity to check my sending unit.  I am getting 82.5 to 85 ohms through the range.  Is this within the acceptable range for a Kaiser?  The thing also looks like it's 60 years old so I might just get a new one, is there any source for them?  Thanks, Zach.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »
Wildcat: KF products use King-Seely guages like Ford and other independent car manufacturers.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »
Well a big update...  Finally painted and starting to attach trim.  The whole fuel tank thing went really well, looks and works like new, and no leaks so bonus on that.  Any tips on restoring stainless?  I have a lot of scratches and dings to work on.  Also I need to completely re-wire the car so that is going to be a project in and of itself.  I was thinking of using a painless harness, just need some new light sockets.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
That's impressive. Keep us posted on the progress.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
So I am trying to decipher this wiring thing and with the condition of everything it is proving to be a challenge.  I was wondering does anyone know how the overdrive system is wired?  From what I can tell there are two wires coming from a box on the firewall and there is a switch under the gas pedal that ties in somewhere.  Thanks in advance.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »
To make your life easy, I suggest that you get a complete wiring harness from McBride.  He has a great product and excellent instructions.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »
Bob will also sell just the OD harness. I just replaced the one in my 50K and it made all of the difference.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »
Hope your OD connecter that plugs into the relay on your Firewall is not broken.
Those can be very hard to find.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com