Author Topic: Help to identify a Frazer Hood Ornament  (Read 1525 times)

Buster

• View Profile
Help to identify a Frazer Hood Ornament
« on: November 18, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »
I recently purchased several hood ornaments - one I believe is what they call an "after market" Frazer hood ornament. Any help or information or if it is for a Frazer and if it is, what year/model? It has been rechromed some time ago - not the best rechrome, but not bad. There are pin prick pitting that you can see through the new chrome. It evidently was not used/mounted after the rechrome. Also any idea of value would be great! Thanks much!

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help to identify a Frazer Hood Ornament
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »
1947 Kaisers and Frazers lacked a hood ornament when they were introduced when most car manufacturers had one and when customers complained K-F offered two separate ornament for both the Kaiser and Frazer in mid 1949.  In the meantime at least a dozen after-market manufacturers came up with their own designs  to sell to dealers and car owners.  Yours is among those dozen or so styles that appeared on the market after WWII.  some of them had a stainless strip that ran from the back of the ornament all the way to the back of the hood similar to the 1942-48 Buicks.  I have found them from $25.00 to over a hundred depending on design and condition of chrome.  Yours was designed for either the Kaiser or Frazer although a few were made just for the Kaiser or just for the Frazer.  Yours looks very nice and you will occasionally see a duplicate of it on other early cars.  Your may be original as I have one like it that is new old stock and it does not have perfect chrome especially along the base.  They were made to sell for only a few dollars and were never a high quality item.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:06:44 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »
Gordie,
Thanks much for the insights into my hood ornament. After looking at the ornament again it just may be one that is NOS & never used. The chrome is lighter on the base & that's where most of the pin pricks are - the ball & rocket seem to have better chrome. Thanks again!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 11:48:16 AM »
The 1949 Kaiser and Frazer hood ornament broadside shows the knight/sail version.  This could fit 1947-48 Frazers  as well as the 1949-50 models because the hood contour was the same as the earlier model years.  The green Frazer sedan is a 1951 model year car.  This has a different hood stamping and the knight/spear ornament.  Some early production 1951 Frazers had plastic tips rather than the metal shown.  Anything else is aftermarket.  While the 1947-1948 Frazers work with the 1949 model year hood ornament, it is considered incorrect for judging purposes in the KFOCI.