Author Topic: glove compartment locked  (Read 696 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
glove compartment locked
« on: April 02, 2020, 02:11:23 PM »
On my '53 Kaiser Dragon, the glove box  is locked.  I have a trunk key and ignition key for the car.  The ignition key goes in the furthest while the trunk key hardly goes in.  Is there a separate key for the glove box?   The knob will not pull out at all.  The opening appears to be in the locked position.  How do I get this thing open without damaging it?  I just got the car.   Thanks,  Jim

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: glove compartment locked
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:38:39 PM »
My understanding of the locks (all of them) on Kaisers was that all locks on any given car could be activated by the ignition key...the additional key was meant as a spare.

Of course, that doesn't mean a previous owner of your car couldn't have changed one or more locks on it, or had them re-keyed for some reason.

I know this doesn't really help with your situation, but I would think a competent locksmith should be able to open it, and if the lock is not damaged in some way (that is, the lock is fully functional...a good locksmith should be able to open it without damage), make you the appropriate key for it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:40:41 PM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 07:27:20 PM »
Originally one key was for the ignition and doors and the other for the trunk and glove compartment.  It is possible the some lock could have been changed or maybe it is just stuck.  Lubricate down the key hole and keep pushing down on the knob and it may break loose.  As mentioned it would be an easy job for a locksmith but have a blank key ready for him and they are available from a club member.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 10:59:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I got it open and took it to a locksmith to see what he can do.   Jim