Author Topic: Henry J Prototype??  (Read 1863 times)

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Henry J Prototype??
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:42:42 AM »
I just returned from driving around the country yesterday.  I visited many museums.  I found this gem at the Auburn, Cord, Duesenburg museum in Auburn, IN.

Some club members have seen it since it was at the 48th KFOCI Nationals.   This was news to me and maybe will to you as well.  The Volunteer, at the museum, and I had a great discussion about this car and the fire that nearly destroyed this car.  I will include more photos in another post.  It has a tubular frame.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Henry J Prototype??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 07:47:39 AM »
Here are some more photos of the tubular frame, original to the 1948 AMP along with pictures next to a production Henry J.

I also took a picture of the car after the fire that nearly destroyed this 1948 AMP.

I've read a lot about Henry J. Kaiser and did not find anything about this particular car.  Thoughts????
54 Darrin # 81

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:24:58 AM »
The car got a lot of attention on the old "Chat Board" that we used to use in the early 2000s.  Tom Wilson of KFOC did the restoration and had  Fotki photo site which showed the progress. Unfortunately, it's no longer available to view.
I took pictures of it when he had it at the KFOC National in Auburn back in '04.  It was still a work in progress.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 11:07:11 AM »
Bess and Henry J in something.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
In 1948, Kaiser-Frazer Corporation took on a project paid for by American Metal Products (AMP) to showcase the various small parts AMP made for the motor vehicle industry.  The blueprints for the car were the creation of a Detroit engineering company who had no indication the car would be used for anything else but show rather than production. 

Henry J. Kaiser saw the finished AMP car and had the appropriate K-F departments work out how the car could be re-designed as a  viable production vehicle and asked cost accounting to work out build price and project a sell price for such a vehicle.  This work led to creation of the actual HJ prototype using components from supplier cataloges rather than the bits from this car or that car that the Detroit engineering company's people built into their design.

As for the little car that Henry & Bess were in a bit of speculation.  The background suggests the photo was taken at one of the subdivisions that Kaiser and Fritz Burns put up in California right after the war.  The front end suggests pre-war Crosley; perhaps it was a construction company work truck.

Attached are a  few photos of the actual prototype.  Note the car has no front door vent windows; neither opening or fixed.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
Here's some more info including some pics that Tom shared on Fotki.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/kfmich/gallery.html

The Fotki link is in the article but it no longer works.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:46:10 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »
What great pictures!!   Thanks for sharing.
54 Darrin # 81

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 02:46:55 PM »
I see in the latest bulletin Tom Wilson passed away last month.  He was a wealth of knowledge and did outstanding work on that car.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 08:49:32 PM »
When was the above Henry J prototype built?
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 09:22:47 PM »
When Tom completed the restoration of the AMP car, he had a box of bits and pieces that came off the car that were too damaged to reuse. He had them at a meet and rather unceremoniously dumped them in a trash can. Realizing their value, I retrieved the box and have its contents to this day. In the box were prototype inside door handles and window cranks, etched with the Doehler Jarvis mark - the company that made die cast items for various manufacturers.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 12:00:26 PM »
Kaiser-Frazer took on construction of the AMP car in 1948 based on the blueprint and specifications pachage supplied by Americal Metal Products.  Henry J. Kaiser liked the finished product a lot; it was bigger than any of the Hobby Lobby cars but was never intended to be a producton car; it was a display item only for the company at trade shows and at the company offices.  The only reasun the museum got it was that a fire in the dead storage warehouse where the car was kept damaged.   There is an issue of MOTOR TREND from around 1962 that showed a small photo taken from an upper level of the building looking down showing surplus machinery and the car in the midst of the stuff. 

MikeHJC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 08:39:14 PM »
The Henry J next to the AMP car is my Henry J, its been on loan to them for a couple years now. Tom did pass recently, it was always fun to visit him and talk car stuff. I worked a little on the AMP car with him, very little, but he did work on that car for a long time, because it was so badly burned. I remember the front grille being rusted really bad and riddled with holes. The place that redid it must have used 20 pounds of chrome to repair it. It was running and drivable again, here is a picture of Tom and I testing it out after setting the timing right before it went off to the museum. The picture Fid took is 2004 and this one is I think 2008.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:43:27 PM by MikeHJC »