Author Topic: Hurricane Laura  (Read 1500 times)

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
Hurricane Laura
« on: August 31, 2020, 11:19:35 PM »
I hope it's OK to make comments about this.. I'm hoping all KF club members didn't
 experience loss of autos...or any others who are car enthusiasts.  This was a big, strong one.  The mayor of the city of Lake Charles hopes he can be able to say IN 4 WEEKS that the city has power.  Major poles and major lines are down all over the central and western part of the state.  People and repair trucks are here from all over the USA, and food trucks with people to serve.  THOUSANDS of people have no power, little food and little water...living on their front porches...in HEAT.  Prayers are requested.  2 of my grown children won't have power for 2 WEEKS.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hurricane Laura
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 11:25:35 PM »
Those who have generators are running out of money to buy gus..to safe the food n their freezers.  IT'S BAD, FOLKS...REAL BAD.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 12:13:18 PM »
I guess I should have refrained from starting this thread.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 12:52:56 PM »
Thanks for letting us know how bad it is and hopefully those nearby can offer help.  We on the West coast do not hear much about it anymore.  I saw a photo of a collector in California who lost his home and a large collection of antique cars in the fires in Northern California. 
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 10:59:17 PM »
Carpenter, I had no comments but I appreciate you keeping us informed. I have no problem with it and I think we all care about our KF friends and their well-being.  Hang in there!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 12:25:29 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  Our Democrat governor is keeping our state shut down far in excess of what is necessary, trying to milk more federal funds from DC to cover his mismanaging state funds.  The city of Lake Charles...in the eye of the storm...will not have any power for another 4...FOUR weeks.  People in Louisiana help each other rather than depend on others, and it is absolutely beautiful to see age and color of skin not be a problem.  The media is doing a pitiful job of covering this major disaster because we are not waiting for federal funds to be caring human beings.  If you want to help contribute to Samaritan's Purse or the Salvation
Army.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 08:48:40 PM »
I didn't know it was still that bad there but not surprised at all. Had a pal in Jefferson Parish during Katrina (he's back here now) and another that weathered a few others in W Palm Beach before that (she's back here too). Hearing her stories while she waited here for weeks for normalcy to return so she could go home motivated me to install a propane fueled generator right next to my 500 gal. tank.

I could swap political horror stories with you..............but it wouldn't really be a fair contest...........seeing how I'm in IL ::)
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 01:24:56 AM »
Hurricanes are nothing to make light of and this governor is, preferring to focus on federal money tied to this virus.  Our daughter lost everything in Katrina...only went back one time to look.  Two checks from FEMA and all kinds of contributions from everywhere helped her recover, but this hurricane caused many emotions to surface.  You don't ever get over losing everything, and many people in the western half of the state are struggling big time.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 05:13:38 PM »
This is just a taste of how things are weeks after this huge hurricane...copied...sent by a relative who is there: It’s been ten days now without power. Bugsy and I are doing good and adjusting to the new normal. The sounds of generators running, hanging clothes on the line, cold showers, gas can runs, sweat and stink smell lol, cooking outside, cleaning up. We are surviving because of all the love and support from our friends and family.

flamingchariots

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
While driving my wife to the hospital for surgery on Sept. 4, we were surprised to see a spread-out convoy of power company trucks heading north on I-271 near Cleveland, OH (towards Canada).   
The interesting thing is that they were marked Holland Power and were from Quebec! 
I can only assume that the 30+ trucks were part of a hurricane relief effort.

Here's hoping that things will get better for you soon, Carpenter and Louisianans. 

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 10:14:38 PM »
We presently have workers from 30 states here. 

...children just want to go home.  They just want their safe little world to be safe again.   Every rent house in Jennings is needed now for evacuees..  there’s not enough places for those without homes to live.   Our traffic here has probably tripled.   Our stores that are open are absolutely packed as families look for supplies.  Long long lines of cars for gas and fast food.   Every hotel quite full.   And every little town near us is just as packed.   The interstate full and at standstills often. All of
these displaced people have no where to go.
No home to go home to and children are hurting and sad ... every community near me that’s up and running will try to absorb and house and even school these families as they attempt to start over.    It’s not like your house burned down and you rent a house near by till you can rebuild and your friends neighbors and school are there to help you as you rebuild ..  but that a bomb went off and every one and everything  thing in your neighborhood or town that would typically give you normalcy, aid and comfort are gone too..
so kindness and patience and generosity are of the utmost importance as we make room for the displaced as they attempt to restart rebuild their lives.

Workers on main line poles have been 100, 200, 300 feet in the air.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 10:16:37 PM »
One worker was electrocuted yesterday.  Have not heard how he is doing or if he is alive.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 09:56:53 AM »
Our illustrious governor is ignoring the severity of the damage done to the Lake Charles area of our state, and the media is too.  It's because that area is Republican and did not vote for him.  Sad.  Notice how much attention has been given to the hurricane near New Orleans, and how quickly.  It's a democrat city.  Maybe you have no interest, but the citizens of Louisiana are paying attention bigtime.  People are coming in from everywhere to help, but it's like helping a family that is standing in the middle of a pasture with only their clothes on.  How do you help and where do you begin?  Food, water, then what?  It is really sad.  As for power, a forest of fallen trees must be cleared, then removal of downed power poles before new ones can be installed, then new power lines must be run...can't patch the old ones, and power safely to the buildings that are still safely standing.  Many homes...gone.