Author Topic: Adding a PCV to a 226  (Read 1621 times)

Jester76

• View Profile
    • Email
Adding a PCV to a 226
« on: November 18, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »
Has anyone added a PCV to a 226?  It would be a big improvement over the road draft tube for removing contaminates from the crankcase and seems easy enough to plumb.  I'm envisioning a similar system to the 161 and the Dodge system by modifying the road draft tube to accept a hose which is routed to a PCV valve at the base of the carb and using the oil filler tube as a the intake with either a separate filter or routing a hose to the air cleaner.  Is that accurate?
- Is the Dodge valve the only option or is there a more common piece that will work?  I would think any inline valve sized for a similar displacement engine would work. 
- What jetting changes are needed?

Jester76

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Adding a PCV to a 226
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 06:22:15 PM »
Other forums have mentioned issues with oil accumulation in the intake under the PCV port due to excessive oil blowby.  If that's not a case for needing positive crankcase ventilation I don't know what is.  I'm thinking a small sealed catch can attached to the bottom of the draft tube would alleviate this problem and provide a nice mounting spot for a commonly available PCV valve.  Maybe use a glass jar for a period look.  Thoughts anyone?

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Adding a PCV to a 226
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 07:31:31 PM »
PCV systems were not added to keep the crankcase/internal engine cleaner, but were added to reduce hydrocarbon pollution. There is a benefit by adding a PCV to a 226 and that would be ensuring crankcase vapors ( unburned gasoline and condensation) are drawn into the intake and burned. You would be better to design your system like the OEM's and filter the air going into the crankcase/oil filler by connecting to the air filter. The oil bath air filters are marginal at best, so using a paper filter would be better. I would use a PCV valve from an engine of similar displacement. PCV valves are sized by air flow. Too large an orifice in the PCV can cause some idle issues, lean idle, but not a large concern because carburetors generally are rich at idle.