Author Topic: What are using for brakes?  (Read 1812 times)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
What are using for brakes?
« on: November 25, 2020, 01:56:08 PM »
The brakes on our 1952 HJ Corsair deLuxe have started to make the "replace the shoes" grinding noice.  I have found that the HJ brakes interchange (Per Willys Motors PARTS LIST OF POPULAR PARTS) with the brakes used on DJ-3A, DJ-5A and DJ-6A Dispatcher models  (2WD, 134 cu in 4 engine).  According to on-line catalog checks, nobody seems to have the 9x2 shoes in stock and they don't know when (if ever) they will have them in stock.  NAPA says they have a "universal" 9 inch shoe that's only 1.75 inches wide that will work and Rock Auto has a show that fits the Dispatcher models but won't let me know what the dimensions are (theirs may also be a 1.75 inch universal type). 

Now that you have a little background of my situation, I ask the question what do you use on your HJ or Allstate and where do you get it from.  Bear in mind that if you haven't bought new shoes since August 2020 you may not be aware that some Chinese-supplied aftermarket parts have been embargoed by the trade war our side started between the US and China.

Comments and ideas are appreciated;  This is the first Henry J Barbara & I have owned and I would like to get 4 sets (I understand 1 set equals shoes for 2 wheels) with 1 to go on the car ASAP and 1 spare set.  I am looking for "Daily Driver" category product (Rock Auto termimology).

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are using for brakes?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 02:35:47 PM »
The brake shoes are a #51 and I had some relined at NAPA but as you know, the new lining is hard and doesn't work as well as the good old stuff does.
I thought I had a box of the lining only but I checked and it's for the big Kaisers not the J.

I compared these to the pic of my HJ brake shoes and they're the same. Of course the pictures won't give measurements so you'd have to ask the seller some questions to be sure they may fill the bill -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-G-GE-Servicar-Brake-Shoe-Spring-Kit-1951-73-83350-51-83373-51-83375-51/293826940413?hash=item4469734dfd:g:I74AAOSwvrFfrIdH
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:39:23 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »
The new linings are not hard, they are oversized and need to be arced to the size of the drum.  They are not making good contact with the drum.  By arcing the shoes, you will end up with 100% contact  and it will feel like power brakes.  I have sent pictures of the machine needed and have pictures of  the results.  Check some of the other headings for the pictures.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 10:07:55 PM »
Your cross references are starting to sound a lot like Aero shoes to me, definitely the same size & I'm pretty sure the drums & hub & drum assemblies are the same as Aero on those DJ's & Surreys. I would not get the 1 3/4" Jeep shoes.
You might get lucky on an NOS set at http://www.northwesternautosupply.com/  They've pulled a rabbit out of their hat several times for me now.

I sent my rear shoes in to these guys & they did a beautiful job. My cost sheet says $81 including shipping
https://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/brakerelining.htm

For DJ shoes you can try kaiserwillys.com, walcks4wd.com, willysjeepparts.com, & Peter DeBella jeeps in NJ. The last two guys seem to have some NOS stuff, I know Peter DeBella buys out old dealer inventories.

Here's a shot of rear Aero shoes.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »
My problem is that I need 2 sets.  One needs to go on the car now (or ASAP) so I can drive it (we still have good weather and don't usually get ice/snow) and a spare set.  Our plan at this point is to drive the HJ from Tacoma WA to Rochester NY and I'm building up a spare set of parts for the trim (if there is a 2021 national).

The shoes ARE the same as the 6-226 passenger car as well as DJ-3A through DJ-6 (my books stop at 1967).  Does anyone with an Aero have a CURRENT source for the shoes?  I don't want to take the hubs off until I have a replacement set to put on the car.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 06:26:09 PM »
My problem is that I need 2 sets.  One needs to go on the car now (or ASAP) so I can drive it (we still have good weather and don't usually get ice/snow) and a spare set.  Our plan at this point is to drive the HJ from Tacoma WA to Rochester NY and I'm building up a spare set of parts for the trim (if there is a 2021 national).

The shoes ARE the same as the 6-226 passenger car as well as DJ-3A through DJ-6 (my books stop at 1967).  Does anyone with an Aero have a CURRENT source for the shoes?  I don't want to take the hubs off until I have a replacement set to put on the car.

There's about 30 sets on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=willys+Aero+brake+shoes&_sacat=6000&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=6000&_odkw=willys+Aero+brake

If you'd like some OEM asbestos type I would definitely call Northwestern Auto, they have warehouses of NOS parts, there's a good chance you could get lucky.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »
According to the latest link posted, the shoes listed fit ONLY the 1954 Aero Ace; the application guide called up on the link refers to 11x2 size for gladiator trucks and other applications but not the passenger cars, Dispatcher models and Henry J automobiles.  Also the various sources listed to check on shows (Kaiser-Willys, etc) have already been contacted and responded not in stock; a few places indicate they have no idea if they will ever get them.  Other sources suggest the problem is they are made in China and may be on the embargoed auto parts list that was created for aftermarket car and truck parts when Trump started his trade war with China.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 01:03:23 PM »
Aero cars regardless of trim model use the same 9x2 shoes. You can confirm this with the Aero parts book on Circle KF.
Some ebay sellers with a lot of the same stock often post multiple listings individually naming specific models with each listing, to target specific search results.

The 805616 shoes on his page look like they could be Aero shoes, check the parts book listed above. https://www.willysjeepparts.com/Wheel_Brake_Shoes.htm

Once you check the parts book for the part number, do an internet search with "Willys" & the number, quite often that turns up parts in places you'd never think of.

As for the trade war, I think Trump res[ponded to one that had already been going on for decades. I remember very well Pres. Clintons response to China pirating over a billion dollars of computer software..........by banning the importation of plastic picture frames.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
Northwestern sent me to this guy once when they didn't have what I needed. I just dug up his flyer and it lists brake parts, might be worth a call.
http://yesteryearautoparts.com/YAAP/Home.html

jneely

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 10:03:35 AM »
I bought a set of these for my Aero. Have yet to install them, but appear correct. 9x2". Cant beat the price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Shoes-Full-2-lining-Late-9-x-2-NOS-Fit-jeep-Willys-M422-DJ3A-late-M38A1-/292314387479?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
LM16094
Willys Aero-Eagles
And a few old Fords

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »
I would like to thank all of you who responded to my inquiry about Henry J brakes.  Front and Rear (same shoe for both) have been ordered  and should arrive by the end of next week.  If the set works, I will probably order a spare set  as well.  We're going to see if we can take the car from the shore of Puget Sound to Rochester NY for 2021 National Convention  (assuming we will be able to have a 2021 National Convention). 

Jack Mueller