Author Topic: forum  (Read 2239 times)

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
forum
« on: December 29, 2020, 10:11:03 PM »
I have noticed the lack of activity on the forum. I have heard about the migration to facebook. I went to facebook to look around the kaiser site or sites.  Didn't seem to be much there,  mostly just photos and fluff. How many sites are there?  Maybe I missed some of it.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: forum
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 01:03:03 AM »
These are the 3 I know of:
KFOCI Official - Kaiser Frazer Owners Club International ... private, for KFOCI members only
Kaiser/Frazer Automobile Page ... public group
Kaiser Frazer Owners Club Mfg Fund ... public group

I don't consider the posted questions, answers, items for sale, shared photos, remembrances, etc to be "fluff" but that's just me ...
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 09:40:58 AM »
I have noticed the lack of activity on the forum. I have heard about the migration to facebook. I went to facebook to look around the kaiser site or sites.  Didn't seem to be much there,  mostly just photos and fluff. How many sites are there?  Maybe I missed some of it.

I think that part of that is the result of the time of year.  Thanksgiving and Xmas are generally times when people's focus turns from hobbies (or obsessions, if you prefer) to family and the hubbub extent in said holidays.  Then, for anyone not living in the warmer weather south or far west, most of our cars are safely abed, safe from the snow and salt.

:)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 11:10:52 PM »
Maybe I missed some of it. Which I did.  Thank you for the addresses. I will try them tomorrow.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 09:29:33 AM »
This forum has ended. Many regulars gone. Bestbif luck and I mean that sincerely, to the KFOCI group in these challenging times.  Lots of friends here, and a couple who dont like me like M Fleming, but overall it was the knowledge and history shared that I enjoyed. Loved the "pickup " thread and wish i could have bought that, would have loved a couple of Rudys cars, like the leather trimmed 48 Manhattan, and picked up a Dragon to restore but i no longer am motivated to spend the time and money.  Still, enjoyed it. And this forum, now dead, was my link.  I joined a total of years in the past 14 or so.  Not enough to be considered a club member.  Only club member i met was Rudy Phillips.  Never went to a meet.
No old cars owned.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 03:19:43 PM »
This forum has ended. Many regulars gone. Bestbif luck and I mean that sincerely, to the KFOCI group in these challenging times.  Lots of friends here, and a couple who dont like me like M Fleming, but overall it was the knowledge and history shared that I enjoyed. Loved the "pickup " thread and wish i could have bought that, would have loved a couple of Rudys cars, like the leather trimmed 48 Manhattan, and picked up a Dragon to restore but i no longer am motivated to spend the time and money.  Still, enjoyed it. And this forum, now dead, was my link.  I joined a total of years in the past 14 or so.  Not enough to be considered a club member.  Only club member i met was Rudy Phillips.  Never went to a meet.

Roadmaster49, although this Forum will be "locked" and relocated to a new site with historical access only, the fact that you (and others) are still posting here clearly proves it is NOT (yet) dead.

I was reminded yesterday that this Forum morphed from a previous version, which morphed from (several generations of) the original KF Chat Room. Standing still = stagnation ... time moves on, and so must the club if we are to survive.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 06:10:29 PM »
I still check this forum multiple times every day. I wish I was more knowledgeable so I could help others but I am one who needs a lot of help to get my car back on the road and maintained after it is back on the road. I have no Facebook account and don’t really want one but I guess I may have to start one to keep informed. I fear that the new forum will have even less activity with the new rules and am very concerned about the seeming lack of interest in the club/cars from younger generations. I inherited this car from my grandfather and my son wants to inherit it some day but if this club dies it seems like it will be very difficult for anyone like me to keep one on the road.

flamingchariots

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 06:31:37 PM »

Roadmaster49, although this Forum will be "locked" and relocated to a new site with historical access only, the fact that you (and others) are still posting here clearly proves it is NOT (yet) dead.

I was reminded yesterday that this Forum morphed from a previous version, which morphed from (several generations of) the original KF Chat Room. Standing still = stagnation ... time moves on, and so must the club if we are to survive.

Whoa!  This is the first that I have heard about this.  The reason for me re-joining the KFOCI was to have access here on the forum.  And now historical access only? 

I'm not sure I would have spent the meager $5 fee otherwise.  And now it's $25???  Wow...   

Although I have Facebook access, I don't use it except to view some family pictures. 
I hate it.  It is basically spyware IMO, and it is difficult to sort out the BS from actual helpful material.   

flamingchariots

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 06:50:34 PM »

Seems like the politics are intense here, for reasons I don't understand. 
Like Roadmaster49, I enjoy reading the history and the mechanical side of things.  Learning the nuances of different problems and the solutions has been invaluable.  Yes, there is a camaraderie between most posters that some just can't understand. 

The only meet I ever attended was several years ago in Brookpark/Middleburg Hts Ohio.  Although I tried to converse with a couple of those in charge, their minds were occupied on other things.  I felt ignored. 
I guess it's my fault for not more heavily pursuing interactions.  At the time, I had two young children to attend to. 

Kory Fox says:  "I still check this forum multiple times every day. I wish I was more knowledgeable so I could help others but I am one who needs a lot of help to get my car back on the road and maintained after it is back on the road." 

That fits me to a T.   I am quickly checking in and out, hoping to glean some information or news. 

I have a '48 and a '51 Kaiser; both are non-runners. 
I have hopes of getting them out of my barn and operational again, but at this point it is wishful thinking. 
Physically and time-wise, i find I just can't work on cars very much. 
Life goes on.........

Kevin
Medina, Ohio

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 07:29:54 PM »

Whoa!  This is the first that I have heard about this.  The reason for me re-joining the KFOCI was to have access here on the forum.  And now historical access only? 

I'm not sure I would have spent the meager $5 fee otherwise.  And now it's $25???  Wow... 

Although I have Facebook access, I don't use it except to view some family pictures. 
I hate it.  It is basically spyware IMO, and it is difficult to sort out the BS from actual helpful material.   

If I understand lengthy past discussions correctly...........there will soon be a new forum with a better operating system. This forum was slated to be deleted but now will be on there somewhere in a "read only" manner so as to preserve valuable info posted during it's history. The new forum will be accessible to paying members only, thereby eliminating the "freeloaders that cost the paying members" when they use the forum & interact with paying members & other "freeloaders".
The $5 Associate level will still be available. The $25 is for full membership with online rather than printed & mailed media.
I still check in here regularly & plan to renew my $5 membership.

As for the Facebook groups, I think they are well worth joining and fun to check in at too. I think they lack an easily searchable feature for past info which is what I consider the primary value of this forum.

As for Facebook itself.......... I believe pretty much every Orwellian & conspiracy theory about them......as well as google.  They have admitted enough in the past to be legitimately viewed suspiciously.
So........get an online email address from a free service and use that for your FB registration.....and never link it to your "friends & family" address. I'm not even registered as a member, my car is.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 09:09:38 AM »
These are the 3 I know of:
KFOCI Official - Kaiser Frazer Owners Club International ... private, for KFOCI members only
Kaiser/Frazer Automobile Page ... public group
Kaiser Frazer Owners Club Mfg Fund ... public group

I don't consider the posted questions, answers, items for sale, shared photos, remembrances, etc to be "fluff" but that's just me ...

add KAISER DARRIN ENTHUSIASTS