Author Topic: how to remove driver's door ventilator window  (Read 751 times)

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
how to remove driver's door ventilator window
« on: April 10, 2021, 04:46:17 PM »
I have removed the upper and lower mounting screws as shown on page 250 of the shop manual, along with several smaller screws that seemed necessary.  While the ventilator is loose along the diagonal and lower edges, it is solidly attached to the vertical glass channel at the lower bottom rear corner and will not come out.  Have I missed a screw somewhere; I'm afraid to pry harder.  Need help.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: how to remove driver's door ventilator window
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:58:50 PM »
I just read the instructions on page 250 in the shop manual and they neglected to mention a screw at the bottom of the window channel that needs to removed. To access this screw the door panel needs to be removed. Some times this screw at the bottom of the channel is rusted really bad and I have had to drill the head off of the screw.

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 10:11:30 AM »
I saw that instruction about removing that bottom screw in several U-Tube sites about other makes of cars, but as the Kaiser manual did not say that, I hoped Kaiser had a better way.  Anyway, I also had to drill out the rusted bottom screw.  But I still can't find the right path to remove the vent.  According to instructions for other cars, I also have to remove the window glass.  I don't want to do that because it looks as though I basically have to completely disassemble the door.
     Also, as I know what the problem is: the vent window shaft is broken just below the chrome frame and allows the wind to close the vent while driving.  And as it has the original E-Z-Eye glass (with a small 1" crack in the corner,) I don't want to risk completely breaking the glass by removing it from the channel in order to replace the pivot shaft.  So I'll just have to put up with either the wind blowing the vent closed or putting a short stick between the vertical channel and the rear edge of the vent glass to keep it open.
    I'm just going to put it all back together and call it good; just a characteristic of my particular car.

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 09:16:25 PM »
Has anyone ever removed a vent window on a '54 KM?  Can sure use some help on this.