Author Topic: Steering Bell Crank Bering  (Read 1189 times)

51 Willowrun

• View Profile
Steering Bell Crank Bering
« on: May 06, 2021, 07:05:49 PM »
Hello All,
I need to replace the Steering bell crank Bering on my 51 ,I have checked Willow Run KF Parts and they do not have it.
Can anyone recommend a company that may sell this.Or could tell me what other Cars used the same Bering
Any help is always appreciated.
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 02:14:13 PM by 51 Willowrun »

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Steering Bell Crank Bering
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 11:03:30 PM »
Steering bell crank bearing?  Where is this located and what type car?

51 Willowrun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 07:32:36 PM »
Hello,
Thanks for responding My Car is a 1951 K512 Deluxe After some further research and speaking to my mechanic what I need is the Center Steering Idler Arm Repair kit which i was able to purchase on Ebay from KF parts in  New Jersey. I apologize for the incorrect name of the Part as I was not able to check my Service manual as it is at the Shop with the Car.

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 09:47:24 PM »
Okay, kfparts in NJ is an excellent source of quality parts.

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 09:37:33 AM »
 What was the problem you were having with the car that required an idler link rebuild kit?  I ask because I'm still trying to correct loose steering on my '54.  I've replaced tie rod ends that fixed 80% of the problem, but still have objectionable looseness.  However I just discovered looseness between the gear box shaft and the pitman arm.  Don't know which is the part that needs replacing.  Maybe shim stock can be inserted between the two parts to tighten them up.

51 Willowrun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »
Hello.
My car had a lot of play in the steering and felt loose she wandered a bit also I am also replacing the Kingpins as well.
regards

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »
Because I can't find a mechanic to rebuild the gear box, I'm thinking of tack welding the steering shaft and the pitman arm together to eliminate that looseness.  Any comments/warnings?

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »
Are you saying that the pitman arm is loose on the output shaft splines?  If you can fit some thin shim  stock as you suggested it should work.  Don't forget about red Locktite or Devcon shaft builder,  I've used both with success.  All depends on how loose  Tom.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 12:03:36 PM »
Because I can't find a mechanic to rebuild the gear box, I'm thinking of tack welding the steering shaft and the pitman arm together to eliminate that looseness.  Any comments/warnings?

Retroguy...where are you located?  I'd be happy to ask the mechanic I use if he could do the work...he specializes in old cars...he and his nephew have a shop...he does the vintage stuff, his nephew works on the newer stuff.  You'd just need to find someone on your end capable of removing the gear box for shipping.

Not going to guarantee he can do anything, but I can always ask if you'd like...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 02:21:51 PM »
Konrad, thanks for your offer to contact your mechanic, but I don't have access to someone to remove the gear box and store the car until it's repaired.  I'm just n/w of Detroit.  I'm going to get some shaft builder suggested by Tomasso before I try welding the two parts together.