Author Topic: engine for '53 Kaiser Dragon  (Read 1166 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
engine for '53 Kaiser Dragon
« on: August 17, 2021, 10:49:28 AM »
Hi,
Is there a source for a rebuilt engine?  I'm looking for either another engine or some shop to rebuild mine.  I live in Cotati in North Bay, Cal and can't find anyone familiar with the Kaiser motors.   Thanks,  Jim

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: engine for '53 Kaiser Dragon
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 11:29:00 AM »
I am not sure who rebuilds the 226 engine these days; there used to be 3 or 4 places in CA that did this kind of thing but they were 1-man shops and the master mechanic doing the work died.  I would suggest you contact Bob Gilzean or the Manager of the El Dorado Region (covers northern CA and part of NV) for who they would recommend.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
Might try here:  https://automotix.net/usedengines/jeep-6_226-inventory.html

There is an option on the listing to select the L-Head 6 for a '53, and while I'm not positive, I believe the Hurricane and Supersonic L-Head 6's could be interchanged with some minor modifications.

Another option would be to look for a parts/donor car with a still running engine with low(ish) miles...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 11:43:57 AM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:59:59 PM »
Manual trans and Hydramatic engines don't interchange because the rear crankshaft flange is different. 51 to 55 Kaiser 226  engines are otherwise the same.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 04:06:25 PM »
Thanks for the information

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 08:10:58 AM »
While a lot of the internal parts will interchange between the SUPER HURRICANE version of the 226 (for Willys vehicles) and the K-F 226 there are differences in things like carburetor and air cleaner.   

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 11:19:43 AM »
While a lot of the internal parts will interchange between the SUPER HURRICANE version of the 226 (for Willys vehicles) and the K-F 226 there are differences in things like carburetor and air cleaner.

It's certainly possible I misspoke about any interchangeability between the Hurricane and the K-F 226...

I guess the real questions are, did the Willy's vehicles with the Hurricane ever use the GM Hydramatic tranny, and if so will one mate up with a Hydramatic equipped K-F; and will a manual trans Hurricane engine mate up with the K-F manual trans...and was there an overdrive option with the Hurricanes?

I've been under the impression that the Hurricane 226 was at best only a moderate improvement on the original K-F 226, but not substantially different in the basic components, mounts, mating with the rest of the drive train...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 09:26:40 PM »
The actual designation here is SUPER HURRICANE Willys engine which was a detuned version of the Kaiser-Frazer 226 engine.  There are differences to some castings and external parts (like the carburetor and air cleaner).  Internal parts are either same or somewhat the same.  Again, I am not a mechanic but I have a library of Willys Motors and Kaiser-Frazer documents that track part number histories. 

All K-F or Willys Passenger Cars (in the case of the latter, there were 2-door sedans, 4-door sedans and 2-door hardtops) that had Hydra-Matic transmissions factory installed have the same flywheel and the 1954-55 Willys cars that used the 226 had the same flywheel parts as used on 1953-55 Kaisers. 

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 08:33:16 PM »
I looked in the Hollander Interchange manual. Hollander # 580     51-55 Kaiser 226 Hydramatic and 51 Frazer 226 Hydramatic is a direct interchange.  # 659 54-55 Willys car 226 Hydramatic short engine only. This means the block and it's internal parts are the same but not external parts. You couldn't use the Willys oil pan pump or pickup or some other external parts. They showed no further interchanges. Hope this helps.