Author Topic: 51 KAISER DELUXE EXTERIOR PAINT CODE AND INTERIOR TRIM CODE  (Read 976 times)

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
51 KAISER DELUXE EXTERIOR PAINT CODE AND INTERIOR TRIM CODE
« on: September 18, 2021, 11:33:24 PM »
Searching the forum for paint code and interior trim code info. My firewall tag says 512   1   576   2148   1   4   4   196   3, which I understand is a 51 Kaiser.

What does the 2 in 512 mean?

Then the 1 that follows 512 and precedes 576, what does that mean? 576 I understand is the paint code, and looking at samples online might indicate Cape Verde Green. Is that right?

Then 2148 is the interior trim code. Any help with the meaning of those numbers is appreciated.

Then the 1-4-4 numbers. One means the destination code, correct? Which 1 means United States, non export. The second to last 4 is the transmission code. Any info/specifics on that is appreciated. The car is 3-speed on the column. Why did they use a 4 I wonder? Then the final 4 means accessory group 4. If someone might tell me what that includes would be appreciated.

Then the 196 and the final 3 I have no idea. May someone assist with those descriptions?

Also on the firewall is a smaller tag that says body number 5121-A19871.

My door pillar serial number is different, saying K-512-A019927. Do those numbers mean the same thing somehow? or do they tell me something different about the car?

I understand some of this info is/was on a CD made available to new members. I joined a couple months ago and I hear the CD information will be accessed on the club website very soon. Any chance the CD might be available anyway?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 KAISER DELUXE EXTERIOR PAINT CODE AND INTERIOR TRIM CODE
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 08:01:47 PM »
The policy on distribution of the CD to new members was that when the CD supply was exhausted, a new update (already prepared for this situation) would go out to ALL members as of a certain date.  The update contained additional information the previous CD did not have.  Unfortunately, the computer industry elected to remove CD-DVD drives (usually identified either as "D" drive or "E" drive) from laptops and even some tower types.  Going to a flash drive instead of a CD or DVD with computer files on it was not financially possible which is why things are moving to the new website.

I can "decode" the letters and numbers on the key information tags (door post serial number, larger body information tag on the firewall and, on the newer cars the separate body number tag).  I will post a separate item to translate the one posted on this thread.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 09:51:20 PM »
This is a rather remarkable Kaiser you have here.

Let me start with the serial number tags.  The one on the firewall indicates that the body was the 18871th 4-door sedan body run through the Long Beach Assembly Plant.  "A" indicates Long Beach assembly; "C" would be Portland assembly and no alpha character would be assembly at Willow Run where the great majority of cars were built.

The door post serial number tag is a bit of a different story.  It is 56 units higher than the 4-door sedan body number.  That means a total of 56 1951 Kaiser Deluxe models to the time this car came off the line were NOT 4-door sedans.  The 56 units were the total of 2-door sedans, 2 and 4 door Travelers and Club Coupes built at Long Beach. 

Now for the big show, the larger firewall body tag.

The Great Swami predicts, without ever seeing your tag as it exists would predict the following numbers appear below (top row) or above the following headers:

MODEL                             512
BODY                                   1
PAINT                               576
TRIM                               2148
DR (Delivery Routing)             1
TR (Transmission)                  4
AG (Accessory Group)             4
SCHED (Building Schedule)  196
ITEM (Item on Schedule)        3

Translations:

512 (MODEL heading)         1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1 (BODY heading)               4-door sedan
576 (PAINT heading)           Cape Verde Green (Metallic) lacquer paint NOT enamel
2148 (TRIM heading)           Cape Verde Richmond Cloth for upholstery
1 (DR heading)                    Car built for domestic (rather than export) sale
4 (TR heading)                     3-speed Manual Transmission with Overdrive(a)
4 (AG heading)                    Accessory Group 4 (b)
196 (SCHED heading)           Long Beach Building Schedule 196 (c)
3 (ITEM listing)                    Third car on schedule 196

a  3-speed with overdrive was required option on all 1951 Kaiser deluxe models unless equipped with hydra-matic instead.
b  Group offered from approximately May 15 to June 15 1950 only.  Not many cars were built with it
c  Schedule #1 covered March 15 1950 when 1951 Frazer production started production for the 1951 model year.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 11:29:09 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 07:43:29 AM »
Great and very helpful information Jack.  Thanks for sharing. 

I only saw 6-7 Long Beach 51 K's in the Registry.  Looks like this could be a pretty rare car. 

Funny how it found it's way back to factory via the new owner who lives in the vicinity.  I smell a story for an upcoming Quarterly!!   :) 8)
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 10:08:58 AM »
Wow! Thank you both for this information. It may take some time to fully process, but very interesting! Any idea what accessory group 4 included? Thank you so much for your research. It is fascinating!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 11:57:05 PM »
According to Confidential Bulletin #45, dated May 10, 1950 (ALL DEALERS series) Group 2, marked as "Installed on Kaiser Deluxe 4-door sedans (initial production only" consisted of:

Oil Bath Air Cleaner
Directional Signals
Rear Seat Cigarette Lighter
Bumper Guard Ends and Deluxe Guards
Chrome Wheel Covers

Group 4. marked as "Installed on all Kaiser Deluxe 4-door sedans and 4-door Travelers until approximately June 15, 1950" consisted of:

All items in Group 2 with the following additional items
Tail Pipe Extension [also known as Exhaust Deflector]
Tilt-type non-glare Mirror

There was also a 4A which was to be used on Kaiser Deluxe 2-door body types and was same as Group 4 except for no rear seat cigarette lighter

Group 6 went on all 4-door Deluxe models starting approximately June 15, 1950 and consisted of everything in group 4 plus electric clock

There was a Group 6A which was to be used on Kaiser Deluxe 2-door body types and consisted of everything in group 6 except for no rear seat cigarette lighter

According to Confidential Bulletin #48, dated August 17, 1950 (ALL DEALERS series) Accessory Group 9 would go into production on all Kaiser Deluxe 4-door body types approximately August 25, 1950.  This group had all the items found on Group 6 plus the Electric Windshield Wipers and the Tenite (plastic) steering wheel.   

There was also Group 9A going into production same time as Group 9, but for 2-door body types.  This had all the items found in Group 9 except there was no rear seat cigarette lighter.  Some 2-doors may be equipped with rear passenger arm rests that have a small lighter and ash tray built in.

Prices increased on the Accessory Groups as the equipment list for the groups got bigger.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:10:24 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 12:19:50 AM »
Thank you again, I sincerely appreciate the resources you provide! You are very attentive and I am grateful.