Author Topic: carburetor shaft spring  (Read 636 times)

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
carburetor shaft spring
« on: December 12, 2021, 02:28:16 PM »
On the 51 Kaiser Deluxe the throttle spring is tied around the thermostat housing. Is this how it's supposed to be? Seems strange that I should need to release the spring to change the thermostat. Looks like on a you tube that the spring is supposed to go not toward the thermostat but back to the throttle arm (probably has a different technical name, interested to know what it is called). I am attaching some photos of my setup. Any reason why it might have been done this way? Another you tube shows they had removed the spring and there is none there. Any info is appreciated. I want to return it to the correct original configuration unless there is a benefit to the way it is.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: carburetor shaft spring
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 04:38:31 PM »
Here's a pic from the 1951 Kaiser parts list detailing where the sprint should sit.

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »
Thank you, I should have clarified. This one's manual transmission. The spring in that graphic indicates for hydra-matic. I couldn't access these on the new website. I assume they are still in the process of being made available for the newer members that don't have the CD or manual? I have the 51 repair manual, but doesn't seem to show the spring on the linkage. I think maybe it should ride below the adjusting rod. At about 4:55 on this you tube video shows the spring going from the end of the carburetor lever where it passes through the bracket that mounts to the top of the engine, running back hooking onto the end of the adjusting rod at the juncture with the accelerator cross shaft and lever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLqdalnGTM&t=340s

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 07:14:32 AM »
The diagram depicts two springs, look closely and you'll see a second spring (#13) closer to the accelerator pedal. That's the one you need and where it should be placed. There's a small opening - sometimes there's a small tab - in the toeboard where the lower end of the spring hooks - use a spring with sufficient tension to pull the pedal back when your foot is removed the from the pedal, but not so stiff that it's hard to push the pedal down.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 07:18:37 AM by joefrazer »

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 01:11:52 PM »
Hard to tell from those pics because they're sideways so here's some additional help. The spring actually mounts from the throttle linkage to a slit in the firewall (hard to see this in the diagram and/or the photos I'm posting.)
 The one on my '51 Kaiser Special broke about 15 years ago and I always take pics when I fix something. I found a spring that was almost a perfect match at Ace Hardware.  Just had to cut one end to length.  Here's how it looks when it's installed the way it is originally and a pic of the original spring pieced back together so you can see what it looks like:

The way it connects is there is a "slit" in the firewall below where the kick down switch (if equipped with overdrive) comes through. Hook one end (the end that's cut to length) of the spring in that slit and the other end to the hole in the throttle linkage where the rod from the gas pedal connects to the throttle linkage.

Found my info on the spring I used.  It was #66 from Ace Hardware but it was 15 years ago and different stores may use different numbers so look at the pic of the original and see how close it is before purchasing one. As mention, I did have to cut to length.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:12:34 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 12:53:52 AM »
Thank you so much! I shall check out your replies with the car. Much appreciated!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 03:33:54 AM »
Attached is page 86 from the 1951 Kaiser and Frazer factory Shop Manual.  The Linkage used on ALL 1951 Kaisers.  According to page 71 of the same book, all 1951 Kaisers had the Carter WGD-781S type 2-barrel carburetor on their 226 dual manifold engines.

If you do not have a 1951 Factory Shop Manual (covers both Kaiser and Frazer cars) as well as the orange/black cover 1951 Kaiser Illustrated Parts Book, I suggest you track one down.  You will find that having the factory information will be very helpful with restoration and maintenance of a 1951 Kaiser Deluxe.  The TRANSMISSION section of the manual does a good job on covering 3-speed manual and 3-speed with overdrive units.

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 01:11:56 PM »
Thank you so much for the information. I do have the shop manual, but wasn't sure why I might have this spring going to a wire looped around the thermostat housing/inlet. It seems to keep forward tension on the throttle arm that runs to the carburetor. A bit of a mystery.