Author Topic: Frazer Manhatton 1949  (Read 523 times)

Howard Wade

• View Profile
Frazer Manhatton 1949
« on: March 25, 2022, 01:53:04 PM »
Hello Guys, I have recently got a 1949 Frazer manhatton, which had stood indoors in a car collection for some time, sadly there were no keys for the car, does any body know where i might get some keys did that ever make a universal key for the frazer, or can i get a new ignition with keys from some where.

Many Thanks Howard

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Frazer Manhatton 1949
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 06:28:17 AM »
KF did not produce a 'universal' key for their cars. Each were keyed with a unique code and that code was included with the key set at the time of purchase. In the absence of the key code or the key itself, the only recourse is to replace the tumbler, quite frankly not easy to do on a 49-51 Frazer. At one time, a KF club member had a large box of loose keys that folks would try in their cars and if one fit, he'd sell them the key. I'm not sure if the box still exists.

eaglerock75

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Frazer Manhatton 1949
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 05:52:49 PM »
Hi Howard, I've had keys made for cars missing their keys twice. First was a 1951 Frazer Manhattan hardtop. Out of state to buy car, all keys lost. Hired a mobile locksmith who happened to have correct key blanks. He drove 60 miles and successfully cut keys for both the ignition/door and trunk locks. Turned out trunk was packed full of most of the parts that were missing from the car, but then found it was also missing the power window pump and driveshaft, and seller was unable to find the title. I didn't buy the car but at least she now had keys. The locksmith charged $59 for the trip plus $45 per lock for a total of $149.
My second time was when a car was delivered by truck a couple years ago. Either the truck driver or the seller lost the original keys. I went on eBay and found NOS key blanks identical to the originals. Had a local locksmith come over and he cut the keys with no problem for both the ignition/door and trunk. He also had generic key blanks and made up some spares. It cost me $50 per lock.
You would have to have correct key blanks. You might get lucky if you find a locksmith with a good supply of older key blanks. Otherwise you would have to find key blanks before you hire the locksmith. I happen to have a spare ignition/door blank from my 1950 Frazer Manhattan. If you PM me I would be happy to send it to you free and provide the key blank numbers for the trunk key which you should be able to find.
Good luck with your Frazer.  All KF products are great cars and 1949 Frazer Manhattans are one of my all time favorites.  Hope this is helpful.  Jim Meehan #2418
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 06:05:09 PM by eaglerock75 »