Author Topic: DUST CAP  (Read 489 times)

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
DUST CAP
« on: March 30, 2022, 11:36:37 PM »
Had a flat on the 51 Kaiser Deluxe, popped the hubcaps off, and noticed the rear axle ends don't have dust caps. Is that a problem? I don't right away see any online. Any ideas where I can pick up a couple? I am attaching a couple pictures for reference. The one with the dust cap is on the front. The one without is the rear. Now that I look at it, it seems to be 2-piece, with the actual cap maybe like some I see online. Then there could be a sleeve of the same metal that runs back onto the brake drum somehow. I had already put the two new front tires on, and moved to the rear ones when I discovered the rear ones have no dust cap. I didn't look good enough at the front dust caps to see how they were tied into the drum. Easy enough to pull a front tire off again so I can check it out. Any info is appreciated, especially where I might get the right 'sleeve' and dust cap for both rear wheels.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: DUST CAP
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 06:57:06 AM »
Dust caps were not used on the rear axles. What's pictured is correct.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 11:49:37 AM »
True ,
Looks OK to Me
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 05:34:40 PM »
The cap on the front wheels keeps the grease in and the dirt and moisture out. There are wheel bearings behind that dust cap that need repacking for proper maintenance. There is only a hub, axle shaft and key on the rear that only are disassembled for brake or inner axle bearing , seal replacement. No dust cap in rear.

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 10:52:39 PM »
Interesting, thank you all for your reply posts.