Author Topic: manual steering box for '54 Kaiser Manhattan  (Read 369 times)

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
manual steering box for '54 Kaiser Manhattan
« on: May 07, 2022, 11:43:44 AM »
The manual steering box in my '54 Kaiser has a lot of loose play between the steering shaft and the box itself.  Gotta turn the wheel 30-40 degrees before the pitman arm moves.  I know rebuild kits are available, but that's beyond my ability.  Remanufactured boxes are available from either 'Buy Auto Parts' or 'Car Steering'.  Never heard of either of them, no ownership or manufacturing info on their websites.  I'm hesitant to buy from them.  Anyone ever heard of these sources?  Haven't been able to get through to either Larry Barker or Rudy or Adam Harder to see if they might have steering boxes.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: manual steering box for '54 Kaiser Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 06:19:55 AM »
Not sure if you were aware of this, but the box can be adjusted. Remove the cap nut that sits above the large star shaped lock ring on the top of the box, then remove the lock ring. Using a slotted screwdriver, turn the exposed screw clockwise until it stops, then back it off 1/8 turn. Replace the lock ring and cap. Doing this takes up some of the play in the box. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't...but it's worth a try.

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: manual steering box for '54 Kaiser Manhattan
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 11:16:57 AM »
Yup, it's on my list of things to try.  Along with adjusting the drag link to pitman arm and the idler lever.  Right now having the front suspension upper and lower control arm shafts and bushings replaced.