Author Topic: idler arm  (Read 507 times)

kf5336

• View Profile
    • Email
idler arm
« on: May 14, 2022, 03:39:03 PM »
I have a shimmy concern along with excessive play in the steering wheel on my '47 Frazer. I made some adjustments to the steering box which did help the concern.  Moving the front wheels shows some looseness in the idler arm area.  the shop manual is not very specific on how tight the upper and lower bushing should be. I have ordered a new idler arm kit from Wilow Run Parts to have on hand.  Can I try tightening the upper and lower bushings first (they look threaded) or plan on replacing the components with the kit?

Thank you in advance,
                                                                      Bob Guinn   KF5336

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: idler arm
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 05:10:27 PM »
The idler arm is probably worn. Don't try to compensate for wear by adjusting the bushings. It may compromise the return to center after taking a corner. Same with the steering gear. Be very careful of your adjustments. Too much grease never hurt anything in the suspension. Just wipe off the excess.

kf5336

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: idler arm
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 05:53:18 AM »
Thank you for your advice.  I did  replace the idler arm compoonents.  It made a huge difference in steering shimmy although there is still a minor loosenes.  Tie rods etc seem to be ok.  Reading the
shop manual there is a short paragraph on adjusting the drag link socket.  It looks pretty straightforward.  Any advice as to how to determine if this is loose and proper adjustment procedures?

Again, thank you in advance
                                                     bob Guinn