Author Topic: Frazer Manhatton  (Read 1132 times)

Howard Wade

• View Profile
Frazer Manhatton
« on: October 03, 2022, 01:35:47 AM »
Hello, i have recently fitted aa new set of brake shoes and brake cylinders, refitted the drums to the front with no problems, however when i fit the rears the drums are rubbing on the edge of the brake shoe, it appears that the drum is going on to far, which suggests to me that either the taper in the drum is warn or the taper on the half shaft is warn, has any body else had this problem, if so what is the fix do frazer make a shim. Thanks Howard

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Frazer Manhatton
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 09:41:59 AM »
usually need to re-arc the shoes

Howard Wade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 02:20:48 PM »
Hello Terry, Sorry what do you mean by Re-arc the shoes.
Thanks Howard

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 05:38:08 PM »
here is a video.

I didn't have a belt sander, I merely used 90 grit paper
machines to do this are long gone

you are basically getting rid of the high spots on the shoes to meet the brake drum inside diameter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n02-GU_VYs&t=276s

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 07:05:44 PM »
I think Howard means the shoe is hitting widthwise as if the shoe is too wide. wrong shoes,wrong drum or axle ?  shoe not sitting on backing plate right ?

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 10:23:35 PM »
I would check the end play of the axles. How did you remove the drums? If the axle shafts move too far inward, the spacer block in the spider gears may be damaged allowing the axle to move inward too much.

Howard Wade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 01:47:38 PM »
Hello Again, the brake shoes are the original shoes but relined. The drums dont rubb on the braking surface they rubb on the outer edge of the shoes when you tighten up the drum. I used a proper hub puller to remove the drum.  the problem is almost as if the drum is going in to far. The problem I have is finding what is warn, is it the axle or is it else where. Thanks

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 09:14:31 PM »
Is it one rear brake drum or both rear brake drums contacting the brake shoes. There would be no wear between the hub and axle shaft. Did you remove the backing plates for the brakes and move the axle shims and seals?

Howard Wade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 01:38:58 AM »
Hello, No the backing plates have not been touched neither any other parts, only items removed were the drums, and yes i have the problem on both sides. Thanks

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 05:07:35 AM »
With the drums off, do the axle shafts move in and out, or are they tight? If there is too much end play, the block inside the differential at the ends of the axleshaft may be worn or damaged.

Howard Wade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 01:48:56 PM »
hello I will take a look at the end play in the morning. Thank you. Howard

Howard Wade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 04:42:03 PM »
Well I got to look at the half shafts today and there is now end play, so not sure at all of the cause any other suggestions. Thanks

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2022, 03:54:24 AM »
There are a couple of possible causes. Bad axle bearing, badly worn or damaged rollers, or the block in the center differential in the spider gears damaged or broken. The end play should be about .006" or so. That is a slight amount. If the axle moves in and out like .25" inches or more, then you have some damage in the differential or bearings. Possible bad axle but if it was good before doing the brakes that is doubtful. Time to investigate further.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2022, 06:32:02 AM »
A couple things to check - be sure that you have the linings on the car correctly - the longer lining is to face forward and the shorter to face to the rear. Also, the emergency brake link, the horizontal bar that rests above the axle is off-center grooved. It must be installed with the wider section facing out - if it's the other way then the shoes may be pushed out, causing them to rub against the drum.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2022, 11:49:53 AM »
I understand his problem is not the lining contacting the drum surface, but the sides of the shoes are contacting the drum face.