Author Topic: Ampco oiler  (Read 1758 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
Ampco oiler
« on: November 03, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »
Any opinions on installing a period correct Ampco oiler on my engine. I have the correct dual feed carburetor base plate and the whole system looks like a quality made item. Whether it is effective or not is up for debate. I wonder if I would get dinged for it if I have the car judged at some time in the future. My thought is that it would help lubricate the valve guides.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ampco oiler
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:29:58 AM »
You will get dinged...10 points, I believe for a non kaiser-frazer part on your car. 

Back in the early 1980's someone brought up a car from IL with one of those and was angered and shocked to read his judging sheet.  He was told by the seller (a club member) that the oiler was a correct item for the car.  That car has never been to a KFOCI meet since, as far as I know. 

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »
The last time I had a car judged at a national, it was 2 points marked off for each "Non-KF" item. There are certain things I won't change. For instance, the Henry J originally had an outside lock on the passenger door only. I moved my locking handle to the driver's side (just like many owners did back in the day...) because it's a pain to slide out of the car on the other side to lock the door.  To me, it aint worth two points to leave it original and have to do that every time I drive it!  I lost 2 points for that and I  knew I would and should but I chose to leave it that way.  Also, a previous owner installed a Darwin remote master cylinder resevoir on my other J and I'm leaving it on there. Filling the master cylinder on a J is a major pain and I'd rather lose 2 points than have to deal with that every time I need to add brake fluid.  The Darwin is "period correct" for the car so so be it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:33:28 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 04:28:23 AM »
What Fid did and more important, why, is something that I wanted the written judging standards to address.  Apparently that is not going to happen, as it appears much of what I was promised would happen in the creatiion of this material will not be taking place.  That's one of the reasons why I want no part of the current project.  We get back to what was originally intended here (there are legal implications to this as well as having info available) I will be happy to be part of the project.