Author Topic: 53 Henry J VIN  (Read 10094 times)

savage_racing

• View Profile
    • Email
53 Henry J VIN
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:05:56 AM »
I purchased a 53 Henry J, basically from a western farmers field. In doing so, there was no title or paperwork exchanged.

Going by what is listed on the plate on the firewall, how would I 'decifer' what this number would be?

I also have many other questions, but do not want to start any work on the car without an ownership.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 53 Henry J VIN
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »
There are three tags on the car.  A body tag, a data tag and VIN tag. The VIN tag is inside the driver's side door frame on the front between the hinges.  If the car truly is a 1953, the VIN # will begin with K533 (Corsair four cylinder) or K534 (Corsair Deluxe 6 cylinder).  The serial number on the VIN tag will be K5344-00xxxx or K5334-00xxxx.  The data tag and body tag are on the cowl on the driver's side. The body number will begin with K53xx-  as well if it is a 1953. The Data tag contains information about the paint code, the trim code (four digit number), the AG (accessory group) the TR (transmission, 2 for standard, 4 for standard with overdrive) and DR (delivery region, 1 for US) and Schedule and Item number which can be deciphered to determine what day it was actually built and which position it was on the line.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:17:17 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

savage_racing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
Yes this helps alot.

This car is a K533. what DR would 2 be? I am in Canada.

The paint and trim codes, where can I find where they are defined?
Would it be in the handbook that I have heard about?
And what all is listed/contained in this handbook?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:07:15 AM »
Every Henry J I saw with DR 2 was from Canada. I'm not sure if 2 is Canada exclusive or 'Non-US' in general.  The club handbook does include the paint code and trim code information if I remember correctly.  Otherwise that info is in the book "The Last Onslaught On Detroit."  If you want to post those codes on here, I can tell you what they are mean.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:15:15 AM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

savage_racing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 02:13:23 PM »
Paint 140
Trim 5516
I.P. 32?

I tried to post a pic but tells me it can't find it?

Thank you very much for all the info. I really appricate this

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 08:58:46 PM »
Paint code 140 is "Onyx" - black in other words. The trim code 5516 is not listed in the Last Onslaught on Detroit or in the KFOC Handbook.  Perhaps if Kaiserfrazerlibrary logs on he can find it as he has access to a lot of stuff.  I.P. stands for "Interior Paint" but I have found no source that indicates how to tell what 32 stands for. If it's a Henry J, it's likely black but the Henry J also had either a gray metallic or brown metallic on the steering column and surrounding molding. The 1951 Henry Js that were equipped with all dragon vinyl interior had a steering column and molding which matched the color of the car. Perhaps I.P. refers to this color as the Henry J dash in 1952/53 was always the same color as the car. The 1953/54 Corsair Deluxe models had a covered dash. I don't believe my '53 J has an I.P. listing on the data plate.  I'll have to look.  Here's my car -
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:15:25 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

savage_racing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »
Thats pretty top drawer!
Sadly, mine is in rougher shape. The drivers door has been welded shut since someone has gutted the door of all mechanics.

The interior is primarily black, but it does have some red piping remements on the rear seat.
I have tried to attach photos, but get an error.

Do you know of any Canadian part suppliers or inventory carriers?
Who in the US would you recommend for parts to complete this project? I am in need of rockers and associated floor pieces, driver side sheet, and passenger side lenses.

I appoligize for dragging this tread out on other questions, but I honestly do appricate all the input and info that you are sharing.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 07:58:17 PM »
Regarding Henry J parts in Canada... I don't know of anyone there, however, Rudy Philips in Ramona, CA remanufactures a lot Henry J parts, especially the window gaskets.  Rudy can be reached at 760-789-3608 If you're restoring a Henry J, he's the guy to know and I'd recommend getting his catalog too.  There are several vendors on ebay that sell HJ rocker panels and floor pans but I've heard mixed reviews about them.  Kaiserbill in Utah used to manufacture them - his website is www.kaiserbill.com   For doors / sheet metal, Tex Dean in Claremore, OK is a good source for those types of parts. The last e-mail address I had for Tex is TJSPJS@PRODIGY.NET
Another source for Henry J and KF part is Terry Zeug in Simi Valley, CA.  He can be reached at zeugskfparts@roadrunner.com
Best of luck

1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe