Author Topic: Sticking Lock  (Read 4129 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Sticking Lock
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »
I broke one of my original aluminum keys off locking the door to my 53K.  I got it extracted and new keys made, but the problem is that the lock is very stiff and requires an inordinate amount of pressure to lock or unlock the car.  Is there a way to make it looser?

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sticking Lock
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »
You can spray a lock penetrant into the lock and hope it is the lock sticking but the problem is probably in the linkage inside the door.  You will need to take off the door panel and check out where the lock linkage is hanging up and needing lubrication.  Not a fun job!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:46:36 PM »
I took the lock out to pull the key out, and it's definitely not that, so I will have to pull the door panel and look around at the linkage.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:47:46 PM »
Take the plastic door lock knob off and with the window up, spray some PB and WD40 straight down into where the metal lock rod comes up thru the door panel. Then, work the lock rod up and down several times to help loosen all of the dried up grease that's causing your problem. That's the easiest...and quickest way to free up sticky lock mechanisms that I've found.

If you have the key lock assembly out of the door, you can also spray directly into the lock mechanism itself thru that opening. I then use a screwdriver with a small head to work the mechanism back and forth.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:32:19 PM by joefrazer »

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »
Jim, thanks for the real handy tip.  I replaced my driver's door latch assembly earlier in the year without lubricating it.  I too had a hard time locking and unlocking the driver's door with my key.  It didn't don on me (DUH) that the latch assembly might be dragging.  I used your tip and ...magic...my door now opens easily.  This forum is great!  Thanks, again...Happy New Year...Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 12:08:39 AM »
Agreed, I had good succes with the driver's door, however the passenger's side is still sticky even after the WD-40.  Also, the passenger side door cannot be locked without being close, so you can't push it locked and then close it; you have to lock it from the inside or use the key.  I don't know if this is an adjustment problem or what.

GA Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
My front passenger side door will not lock with the key, nor with pushing down the lock button with the door either open or closed, it only goes part way down.  I hate to have to pull off the inside door panel.  Any other suggestions? 

Also, both front doors will not latch closed unless the inside door handles are pushed forward, they are not springy like the rear door and don't return the forward position.  They latch just fine if the inside handles are forward.  Any suggestions?
GA Kaiser
1954 Manhattan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
The post that holds the inside handle is spring loaded and is supposed to snap back when the handle is pulled. More than likely, the spring is either broken or the tab that keeps tension on the spring is broken. Either way, the inside door panel has to come off to correct the problem.
The issue of the lock only engaging part way is likely due to the door handle not seating where it should. Again, the door panel has to come off the ensure that everything is lined up and working as intended.
I've found, too, that the latch mechanisms on the doors wear and eventually won't let the lock work as it should. Remember, the car is 50+ years old and when built, no one ever figured that they'd still be in use all these years later! You might end up needing to replace the latch mechanism...which is an easy project. Four or five screws and you're done!

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 11:20:05 PM »
My best fix so far for a sticky door lock is a rattle can of white grease with the plastic tube that attaches to the nozzle , remove the window surround and arm rest, hold back the upholstery and blast away, use a small flash lite to see where your going. Sorry about the broken key,there will be K ign and matching trunk keys shortly

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 08:22:20 AM »
Great, I plan on getting some of those "k" keys when they're ready.  The keys the locksmith made look like file-cabintet keys: they work, but don't look as nice.

GA Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 01:56:19 PM »
Thanks for all the great information.  Now we just need warmer weather, the garage is not heated.
GA Kaiser
1954 Manhattan

dusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
 LOGAN THE KAISER  (K) KEYS ARE IN THE WORKS NOW, Tooling is to be ready in 30 days and production is scheduled to complete 30 days  later, they are being run as pair blanks any lock smith can cut them to work in your car without taking the lock out. the locks are only 5 pin cylinders. Ignition/Door and Trunk/Glove box and will be sold as a set just like you got with your NEW car

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
Made out of aluminum like the originals?
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

dusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
HI, YES THERE IN THE PROCESS FO MAKING THE TPPLING "NOW"  THE PROOF/ SAMPLE WILL BE TO ME IN 30 DAYS . BOTH THE TRUNK AND IGN KEYS ARE  TO BE MADE FROM 6061T6 ALUMINUM WITH "K" AMD YALE MARKINGS I WILL SELL THEM IN SETS.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »
Do you happen to know the price yet?