Author Topic: Restoring Duct Work  (Read 3330 times)

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
Restoring Duct Work
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »
There are two ducts on the Aero that appear to be made of rigid, thick tar paper. These are extremely brittle. Has anyone hade experience restoring these? Do they take well to heat to be reshaped. What would you use to repair - fiberglass?, bondo, ...

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Restoring Duct Work
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »
I tried several different ideas to restore the right vent tube in my 54 Aero Eagle Custom and finally gave up. I tried several layers of door panel liner...it's oil impregnated like the duct, but the heat caused the oil to leach out and the tube fell apart. I finally did find a real nice used vent tube on a parts car.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:04:28 AM »
I do not know how to fix one or make one from scratch and they are rare as can be. If you find a decent one, hang on to it. I've been using black flex tube from a clothes dryer. It's the right size and works well, but will lose points in a concours. Question: when was the last time you saw an Aero in a concours?
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
Well maybe in 2015 at the Woodward Dream Cruise ... hope noone looks at my heater duct.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »
There was a very nice original Aero at the 50th anniversary meet in Oregon a couple of years ago.  It was a pleasure to see one with original paint and upholstery and untouched.  They are really getting scarce at our meets.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
I blew a hole in my right side paper duct with pressure washer.  Patched it with fiberglass cloth and POR15, fiberglass resin won't stick to anything.  POR 15 is also great for repairing floorboards in conjunction with fiberglass matte or cloth, makes a permanent bulletproof repair.  Spraying with a bedliner type product will give it a consistent finished look.  Tom.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 04:15:15 PM »
54 and 55 Aeros with the 226 used a different style of duct for the passenger side...different enough that regular round tubing won't fit. The originals were made with...believe it or not...beeswax impregnated and layered cardboard that was formed in a press. I found a good used one for my 54, but have yet to run across NOS.