Author Topic: HENRY J / DARRIN REAR AXLES  (Read 6548 times)

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
HENRY J / DARRIN REAR AXLES
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:10:06 PM »
Good afternoon everyone - I'm looking for a pair of rear axles for  my Darrin. It has overdrive, 4.55:1 gears, 10 splines (are they all?). Some nutcase cut an inch off the threaded end sometime in the past! Please let me know if there is anything available out there.

Thanks, Gary
Darrin145

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HENRY J / DARRIN REAR AXLES
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
I believe the axle shafts themselves are all the same regardless of which ratio you have. I'll check my Henry J parts book later and post back on here. As Weas pointed out, there are different ratios if you are replacing the entire rear end. The 6 cylinder without OD used 41/10 (4:10) and the 1951 four cyl with and without OD, as well as all six cyls with OD used 41/9 (4:55). The 1952-54 four cyl HJs without OD used a 47/11 which would not work well in a Darrin. There is a metal tag on one of the rear end cover bolts which has the ratio stamped on it. Tex Dean in Claremore, OK likely has what you need. I'll post his e-mail when I find it.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »
I didn't even consider you might be looking for just the shafts. Yeah, those should be the same no matter what.

darrin145, you wouldn't happen to have pictures, would you?  I'd love to see the nylock customization.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 07:52:27 PM by Weaz »
KFOCI #9798

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »
I checked the factory Henry J parts book. The axle shafts are the same, only the ring and pinion are different for the different ratios.  So, if you find any Henry J rearend, the axle shafts will work.  The brake drums are on a cone shaped axle and have to be shocked off - a puller alone won't do it. I did the brakes on both my Js recently.  If you take nut off, then put it back on on backwards, turning it only far enough for the nut to be flush with the end of the axle. Then put on the wheel puller, and place a soft piece of iron between the wheel puller shaft and the axle shaft and whack it good and hard and they will come off.
Just like this
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:32:17 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »
Weaz - Pictures? That's my middle name! I'll try to post some in the morning, from the shop. I am looking for just the shafts, if possible. I talked to Tex this afternoon, he's quite a guy! The only thing is, I think I'm gonna have to buy a Henry J !! He's willing to send me a complete rear end, maybe I'll have him send me a whole car, I've always wanted one. For now, though, I think I should stick to just the axles.

Thanks, Gary
darrin145, minus axles

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 08:32:57 PM »
Gary, I agree. You are going to have to buy a Henry J. You already have one hiding under the skin of that Darrin. Might as well get the real deal.  :D

Hey, Fid. Where'd that post about shocking the monkey, I mean brake drums off, go? I was looking for that today.
KFOCI #9798

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »
Hi Fid - Thanks for that info. It'll ease my stress some! The drums came off with the aid of the puller without a problem, and I didn't even need to worry about ruining the ends of the axles because the last guy cut them off! I used to drive a '50 Dodge with a similar arrangement, that thing needed explosives to get apart!

Thanks, Gary
darrin145, still axleless

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
I seem to recall that Fred Walker in Colorado, may have had some of those axle shafts. His number is 719-749-2668
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
Thanks Fid, I'll give him a shout tomorrow.

Gary.

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
Here are those pics you sent me, Gary.

Ha ha.

Now, why would someone do that?
KFOCI #9798