Author Topic: HJ Acc Grp info wanted Please  (Read 5134 times)

54HJ Cdn

• View Profile
HJ Acc Grp info wanted Please
« on: June 06, 2007, 05:34:13 PM »
Hello All!
I have a 54 (K543) Henry J. The large cowl tag shows that it had an A/G 36. Or maybe it means A/G 3 and 6. I've been trying to decipher this but all I have to go by is the KFOCI Handbook and I'm confused by this one. I think that I've deciphered the rest of it though. If anyone can provide or direct me to some info on this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
This question is also posted under another Topic here. Sorry for the duplication!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HJ Acc Grp info wanted Please
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 07:11:06 AM »
Answering your question is interesting as it brings up some interesting history on the end of the Henry J.   While is may never be established for certain, there is a good possibility that the body on your 1954 had been a finished 1953 that got a new body tag, with 1953 information transferred over to it.  Bodies were built up in anticipation of dealer or distributor orders for cars and at times those orders never came.  Some were left in primer while others were finished and put in the body bank. 

Kaiser-Willys Sales Corporation Trade Letter K54-3 was the ordering information for 1954 Henry J Corsair and Corsair Deluxe models.  While there are no Accessory Groups listed for either the K543 Corsair or K544 Corsair Deluxe, the standard equipment list in this document include the items in Accessory Group 36 as used on 1953 model year Henry J automobiles.

Accessory Group 36 was offered on Corsairs only and contained Front Window Vents, Vacuum Booster Fuel Pump, Deck Lid (with non-folding rear seat), Dashboard Cigarette Lighter and Dashboard Ash Receiver (ash tray).  The retail on this was $69.77 plus $5.30 Federal tax, with dealer wholesale of $53.00 plus tax.  This is from Confidential Bulletin 88, dated October 17, 1952.  There were no changes to price or equipment in the group during the 1953 model year.  On July 10, 1953, Kaiser-Frazer Sales Corporation announced that Accessory Groups 34 and 36 (for Corsairs) along with Accessory Group 39 (for Corsair Deluxe) would be considered STANDARD EQUIPMENT items as of that date, per Confidential Bulletin 96.  The bulletin included a form that dealers could fill out to get a rebate check for the cost of the groups on any new, undriven, untitled HJ's in their inventory or in transit to them and paid for.  The price cut that this created was behind print advertising in the later part of the 1953 model year that announced a price cut of $100.00 on 1953 models.  This was done in an effort to move out the remaining new car inventory and use up bodies and other major assemblies at the factory, but did not result in moving out everything.

Information in AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRIES magazine indicates that 1954 Henry J production began October 29, 1953 and ran about 2 or 3 weeks (based on numbers produced).  It was also during this time period that the 1954 Early Specials and a few 1954 Kaiser Manhattan models were produced at Willow Run before the Kaiser line was dismantled and moved to Toledo.  Henry J equipment that could be used for other things was, and HJ-specific tooling, fixtures, etc, may have been scrapped in 1954-55. 

Jack Mueller

54HJ Cdn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 02:18:39 PM »
Thanx for the input, Jack. I guess that I was pretty close in my attempt at deciphering this one on my own.
Mine is definitely a Corsair! K5434 originally with a Willys 4 banger & no OD 3 speed Borg-Warner.
This is from my own notes on the car relative to deciphering the body tags:

"A/G (3 &(?) 6 or 36) Accessory Group offered in the (4 cyl.) 543 Models only to increase sales. c/o  3 = Front ashtray, Lighter, Dome light with 2 door switches & 6 = front window vents, Deck lid, vacuum Booster Fuel Pump. Or maybe it really is A/G 36, but I can

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:37:55 PM »
I pulled out the Kaiser-Willys Trade Letter again.  According to the information, rear seat ash trays were not part of the equipment on the car...According to the trade letter, Accessory Groups are NOT listed for either 1954 Henry J Corsair or Corsair Deluxe models.  That's why I figured that your car had a body that was painted & trimmed but still in the body bank when 1953 production ended in June 1953 at the time Kaiser-Frazer went on strike (production on auto side down from late June 1953 to October 29, 1953).  The arm rests with ash trays could have been added by a dealer to sell the car new, or by one of its prior owners. 

As for the emblem, as far as I am aware, only the color of the plastic spinner changed from 1953 to 1954, but it is possible that some of the plastic K emblems for the grille were not painted with the silver (adding the color would be an additional manufacturing expense).

Jack Mueller

54HJ Cdn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:12:42 AM »
Thanx again, Jack.
As far as when the car was actually made (53 or 54), all that I have on that is the info from the large cowl tag which gives the Sched of 16 & item # 4. The D/R on this tag shows a '1' which I've interpreted as meaning that the car came from Willow Run. The small cowl tag reads "Body number 5434-1509".
The tag on the 'A' pillar reads 'Henry J Model K543 & S/N 001536.
From the research that I've done on production #s for 1954, I state that 1,162 were made that year.
Can't remember where I got that number from.

Having this guy has been interesting, esp when we're at meets or shows. I'm usually the only Kaiser there and people are full of questions about it. A lot of people have never even heard of the Marque.
Consequently, I've tried to decipher the tags, research the Company, etc to be able to answer most questions accurately. If I had a nickel for every time someone told me they were sold in the Sears catalog...

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
Hi,

Your "1" under DR means that the car was built for domestic sale rather than to be exported (it would have a "2" for export).  The interesting part is the company name on the door post serial number tag.  Your car should say "Kaiser Motors Corporation Willow Run Michigan" on this tag.  If you check 1954 Kaiser Manhattans or later Specials (with the 3-piece rear window area, 1954 dashboard, etc) you will find the city name is "Toledo Ohio" as they were built there except for the earliest production Manhattans.

Cars assembled at places other than Willow Run or Toledo have an alphabet letter at the start of the door post number, like K534-H001234 would indicate the car was assembled at the Haifa Israel plant, or K512-T034567 woud indicate assembly at the Leaside Ontario plant (a suburb of Toronto). 

Serial numbers for bodies begin with 1001 and are body type specific in cases where you had choices (such as 1951 Kaiser 4-door sedan, 2-door sedan, etc) and most door post serial numbers also begin with 1001 and are series specific (K533 1953 Corsair, F47 1947 Frazer, etc).  Exceptions are 1950 Kaiser or Frazer, 1952 Kaiser Virginian series, 1952 Henry J Vagabond and 1954 Kaiser Early Special (1953 bodies).  Here, the serial numbers assigned to the car by production scheduling from the model year before were retained, only the prefix changed. 

Jack
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 11:24:29 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

54HJ Cdn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 09:25:52 PM »
Well Jack, after reading your last response, I just HAD to go for a closer look @ the door / A pillar tag.
It does say 'Kaiser Motors Corporation Willow Run Michigan' on the bottom of the tag, hence the absence of a letter in the S/N. I just didn't fully document it in my Data since it's available to me on the car.

My mistake about the D/R, you're correct....of course!

How/When it came to Canada is a mystery to me. Previous owner is not around any more. It was used as a rolling billboard for AAMCO transmission shops here for many, many years. I bought it in '98 just before they went under.
Oh...if I ever get to see a Manhattan again I hope that I remember to ask if I can check his door tag info, not that I doubt you.
I'm still confused about the apparent disparity between body #1509 & serial #1536 & how that might relate to the date of manufacture. One of life's 'unsolved mysteries'?
Good  chatting with you & thanks for all the info.

Vic

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 12:47:18 PM »
Regarding the grill medallion - I once repainted one myself and painted the 'K' gold and the strips silver.  I sent it to a fellow in Canada circa 2001/02.  If you acquired this car from him and he used that medallion, that would explain it.

Fid
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

54HJ Cdn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 04:49:43 PM »
I doubt that it's the same one. As stated earlier in the thread, I got the car in '98 & bought my grille medallion from the KFOCI manufacturing fund. I was surprised to see the silver markings when I got it, since I just assumed that it would be a direct replacement for mine.
Since I'd acquired all new lenses etc for the car, at the time, I figured that a new medallion was the way to go. I still have the original, so maybe I'll try polishing it and see if I can bring it back. Maybe the 54 medallions were different from the rest. Hard to find specific info on these guys from 1954.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 05:02:41 PM »
Bodies were built up and held in the body bank, to be mated with the chassis and completed on the final assembly line.  Production Scheduling put through quantities and construction order for bodies of different types (paint color, trim, etc).  They then matched what was running (what the factory felt would sell) with actual dealer/distributor orders (what the dealers wanted).  As a result some bodies would be built up but not move down final line while others built a little later went straight through or did not sit as long. 

Mis-match of body and serial number is normal.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »
My brother took a photo of a 1951 Henry J in Incirlik, Turkey in 1985. The car looked like an original and it was a white/beige color. Unfortunately, I cannot locate that photograph today. It would be interesting to see how the tag on that one read.  I also do have an old black and white photo of a 1951 Henry J that my father took in Grosvenor Square London circa 1955. Even back then he was into Henry Js and noted/noticed them anywhere he went. You can't tell from the photo but I wonder if it was a right hand drive?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:03:13 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios