Author Topic: Driving your Kaiser Frazer product every day  (Read 4231 times)

Buster

Driving your Kaiser Frazer product every day
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »
Does anyone use thier car every day, I use my 48 Kaiser just about every day , I take it shopping, to work, out to eat, just  everything, the only consideration I give it is ,I don't drive it in bad weather, Have had no trouble using it this way, but have got  alot of questions about it. Thanks Buster

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Driving your Kaiser Frazer product every day
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 08:28:50 PM »
I drive my old cars (3 Henry Js) pretty regularly in the summer time on the same types of trips as you mentioned.  I do try to avoid the freeway as today's drivers have little or no tolerance or appreciation for older vehicles.  I did drive a 1953 Henry J from the Twin Cities to Auburn, IN in 2004 - no problems. I also drove drove a '51 Kaiser from Twin Cities to Chicago in 2004. Nice trip, no problems of any kind.  People sometimes ask me "Why do you drive that?" and my answer is quite simple:  "Because it's a car, that's what it was made for."  Mine are all stock and cruise just fine.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Buster

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:36:14 PM »
I agree with you,the car's where made to drive,what's the fun in driving a car a couple of feet off a trailer? Life is too short not to enjoy your car on the open road, and what better fun is there then to see people smile and give you a wave. Buster

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:01:18 PM »
I have owned my 1940 Ford coupe for fifty years and I used to drive it everywhere and I have done repairs at gas stations and wherever I have broken down.  Today though if you do not bring a supply of parts with you you will not find them in parts stores like the old days.  "Sorry but that part is not in the computer!"  I have driven several Kaisers cross country in the past but I do not think that I would attempt it today.  They are just not as reliable as modern cars and are great around town but it is no fun to break down fifty miles from nowhere.  It sure is fun to drive them on a regular basis though!  I enjoy my '48 Frazer.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:21:48 PM »
I find if you make sure everthing is cleaned and lubed, the cars are quite dependable. If all fluids are full (including rearend, trans and OD), front end greased, belts and hoses in good condition, battery fully charged and full of water, the cars are quite dependable. It's the other nuts on the road these days that make me leary. I may drive my '53 J to the show in Iola, Wisconsin this summer.  Of course, weather is always a concern too. The vacuum wipers don't cut it but Rain-X does wonders.  I do miss my AC, power steering, stereo and modern suspension when I drive them, I will admit that.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 02:01:40 AM »
I try to drive my 1951 Kaiser Deluxe at least once a week.  If you have maintained your car and all of its equipment works, then you should by all means drive and enjoy it!  I avoid any precipitation, who wants to show off a dirty car anyway? 
Please make sure your brakes work and don't pull in unexpected ways before you leave your neighborhood, though.  Your drums can rust up, and wheel cylinders may freeze, so be careful.  Also be sure to use stabil in your gasoline when leaving it sit for more then a few weeks at a time. 
People respond well to our cars as they are seldom seen by the masses.
Les Mommsen
Marysville, WA
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

vt2000driver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »
Linda and i drive our two kaisers all most every weekend here in southern Calif. Linda is hard to see in the 47 but it is the one she likes as Gordy can tell as he has seen her in it.

Mike Mc Manama
1953 traveler (long gone)
1949 Bermuda tan (still in California not mine)
1953 Manhattan (parts car long gone)
1947 special (modified) Linda's
1953 Carolina my first Hydra-Matic not on road yet
1951 $520.00 delux with whiskey under front seat!

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 11:54:38 AM »
The McManamas' Kaisers are ready to go any place at any time and because of a family commitment for Mike, Linda drove the '47 to the SO CA Christmas party alone.  Those Kaiser's and Frazer's are meant to be driven and enjoyed.  It was 180 miles round trip for me in my '48 Frazer and I still had over a half a tank of gas when I got home.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom