Author Topic: replacing rear brake shoes  (Read 1480 times)

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
replacing rear brake shoes
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:32:46 AM »
Hi All,
I'm changing the rear shoes on my 54 Manhattan.  Has new cylinders etc.  Question: is there some sort of clip between the end of the parking brake spring and the backing plate to hold the spring inside the plate or does the spring extend outside the backing plate?  If there is a clip is it something that the parts store might have or is it a Kaiser thing?
Thanks for the help,
Barry

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: replacing rear brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
The spring has to  stay inside the backing plate to work properly. There is indeed a clip that goes over the cable and keeps the spring inside. It is for practical purposes a washer of outside diameter greater than the hole in the plate and inside greater than the cable diameter. There is a split in the washer so that it can be bent back to go over the cable and then returned to block the spring. Not sure what the availability of these is-I personally just find a suitable washer and cut it radially on one side. Easy to bend it out, slip over, and bend back. Might cost a cool nickle. good luck.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49:15 PM »
Go to your favorite napa/parts store and ask for a (fender Washer ) the i.d 3/16  the od will be about 3/4 hack saw thru 1/2, bend it to slip over the cable flatten it back out and your in business. the original washer had a dimple in it to center it in the hole, BUT can't have everything         DUSTY

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I followed it and life is now good; I have excellent parking brakes!!!
Barry