Author Topic: Best Kaiser Ever; 53 Manhattan?  (Read 4910 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Kaiser Ever; 53 Manhattan?
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:51:37 AM »
Was reading my Brooklands book (the one with road tests/not the best book but I have finished others so nothing left)

They reviewed the 52 Kaisers and there was a 53 article in there that seemed to point out that KF was listening to complaints of the 51-52 cars. Things like: acceletor pedal effort, etc. The 53's had one piece windshields. The reviewers were impressed with both years but I came away with the feeling that the 1953 Kaiser Manhattan was the fullest execution of the 'best' KF ever - for style, comfort, ride, handling and overall engineering.

What does the forum crowd think? Even if you only own the first series cars, I wonder if the overall consensus is the 53's are the best in a high trim name plate like the Manhattan.

I would include the 54-55 but feel that the 54 front end is a love it or hate it last ditch effort by KF to delay retooling a new model (The historian may disagree with me but I'm no expert, just a thought) 

So that would place 53 as the possible "pinnacle" year for KF and the 53 Manhattan as the overall best Kaiser product.  No wrong answers, this is just a forum topic.

No old cars owned.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best Kaiser Ever; 53 Manhattan?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:45:21 AM »
They were certainly listening to complaints--the most significant things were the improved door seals, the much improved starter from the earlier cars and the change to the gas line to minimize vapour lock.

My favourite car would be a 53 Dragon, with every single option available and possible, including the rear window wiper--except I'd order two wipers , and the air defroster too. Let it be that lovely maroon, that is so elegant with the gold trim, the Marie Nichols interior, and the vinyl rooftop

Second would be a 54 Manhattan 2 door in Australian Beige over Sabre Jet Blue, or SJB over AB, with 3 speed and overdrive, retrofitted with the 53 front sheet metal, and 53 interior, and the 53 Dragon's gold trim...in other words, a 54 Dragon

Third would be 54 Manhattan 4 door Traveler, ditto everything.

I have had a 53 Manhattan, and for me inside and out it was IMO the peak of the design. The only things I would add to that design would be the supercharged engine, the wraparound rear window and the Safety-Glo taillights of the 54-55. They should have stayed with the 52-53 main taillights too, and not bumped themout further.

To my eyes, there was a flaw in the 54-55 front end design. I LOVE the idea of the concave grill, as I love the 54 Darrin front end. However, the hangdog bloodhound 'eyes' of the headlights just look completely wrong to me, and give it a sad, tired, 'face' just like those awful Buicks. I think that the headlight surround was a big mistake as that ellipse, and it would have been much better, and easier to mimic the 54 Darrin front end a bit, by making the shape a very elongated slightly concave on the lower legs triangle, with the lower point at the Darrin's parklights.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »
Hi,

A few things of interest.

If you read the 1951 and 1952 Kaiser road tests from MOTOR TREND, they talk about how improved the 1952 (later series, larger tail lights, fender script, 1-piece windshield, etc) was over the 1951 for handling, etc.  MT felt the 1953 Kaiser continued improvements, changing some of the 1952 upgrades with parts that worked better.

1954 Early Specials (1953's with 1954 front cowl and tail lights) were made to try and get the most for their investment from the leftover unassembled (or factory stocks) 1953 models:  they were not intended to stall while tooling was completed.  There were no Travelers in the Early Special program or the 1954-55 regular programs as far as I know.  The one with 1954 Front Cowl and Taillights was in fact built as a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan Traveler (and as a 1953) for auto shows, etc.  Like other 1953's (including the show dragon my father owned when he died), that car was still in factory hands and got the upgrade by factory mechanics.

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »
There were no Travelers in the Early Special program or the 1954-55 regular programs as far as I know.  The one with 1954 Front Cowl and Taillights was in fact built as a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan Traveler (and as a 1953) for auto shows, etc.

Are you referring to the unique '54 Manhattan Traveler that somebody had found while scrounging for a supercharger for their Willys?

As for me, call it Bias, but I love the '51s front styling the best. The 52-53 front "lip" chrome doesn't look as simple as the 51's to my eye. Although, I love the 52-53 integrated parking lamps, I think they look the best. As for handling, what improvement was made between the 51 and 52 models?

As for the 54 front end, I love it. I think it could have been executed better with a new body, but given KF's circumstances, I think they did an excellent job. The only turnoff about the design is the impression of added front end weight. It may not be much heavier than the front end off a 53 but it sure looks heavier...
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
At the Prescott AZ Natl an Early 54 Traveler showed up.  It was built by a California Member - Randy I do seem to remember.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »
As far as handling goes, the 53K was probably the best of all. For comfort while driving long distances, the 54 is king compliments of it's redesigned seat materials. So, put a pair of 54 seats in a 53 and you've got it made!!

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
But what improvements made the 53's handling that much better?
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
I take the point about the 54 seats, because design wise they were better. My only problem with them is that the material/patterns aren't quite as attractive as the 53 cars.

Okay, If I could go back to say September 21st, 1953 with an extra big filled wallet, I'd special order a supercharged 53/54 4 door Dragon Traveler, with the Marie Nichols material covered 54 seats
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 06:30:58 PM »
To tell the truth, a 54 handles better than a 53...but only with the front bumper and splash pan removed. The extra weight hanging so far in front of the wheels makes a 54 dive into turns but without it, there is an improvement. I removed the bumper and attachments on mine when i swapped engines and it really does make a difference.
Also, the addition of the steering dampener in the column takes away alot of the road shock normally transmitted to the wheel, making the car easier to live with on longer trips.

But, in the end, there's nothing like driving an early 47 and then climbing into a 54...you really can tell the difference!

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 07:44:42 PM »
Cortes, the 54 front end IS heavier, and some people think that makes it handle worse than the 53.  As for me I think you can never go wrong with a 53 dragon--that's probably a biased statement since I own one, but it really is a good car with beautiful bambu vinyl all over--front kick pads, headliner, trunk, even in the glove box!  I also really love the thick carpeting the Dragons have.  I owned a 53 Manhattan and loved that one just as well--sabre jet blue on top and australian beige on the bottom with brown bambu vinyl and boucle and beige luxura inserts.  That was a beautiful color combination in my opinion and I wish I had not gotten rid of it, even though it was in need of restoration--it ran, was complete, little rust and few dents!  Truth is, I GAVE it away when I moved to a friend of my brother-in-law's because it was partially disassembled, and that seemed easiest, but I have been repenting of that decision ever since!

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
The Brooklands Book mentions that an option for 53 is "foam cushioning" for the seats.  So maybe a 53 with foam cushioning would take care of the seating.

All KF's are period representatives of a time gone by and I could easily own a 54 or 55 with pleasure BUT the consensus here seems to favor the 53 Kaiser Manhattan (or Dragon) as the best overall KF car.  No one year is perfect.
No old cars owned.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 10:01:25 PM »
PNW- JIM do you have pics of the Salem Or. meet? We had our 54 manhattan with the 53 front end at the meet, the paint is Palm beach over Bristol Red, the interior tan pin crush w/ maroon boucle headliner. the seat inserts are 54 Chrysler off color maroon Jacquard cloth.  it is a head turner at every meet. Our green and white all vinyl Dragon will be at the San Diego meet. Its getting the final paint prep Frosted Holley Green on 5/18 we havnt gone on any trips yet with the new engine and running gear, so we will trailer it.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 08:33:24 AM »
Your Dragon is photoed but I don't remember a 54 with a 53 front end?

http://circlekf.com/pnwkfoci/photos.html  Travel On!
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com