Author Topic: K51 Front brake drum jamming (blockade)  (Read 1765 times)

Swiss

• Adrian Birrer
    • View Profile
    • Email
K51 Front brake drum jamming (blockade)
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:22:19 AM »
It happened now several times recently that on my K51 the right front brake drum was jamming hard (kind of blockade) when I just tipped on the brake pedal. Mostly when the car stood for a couple of weeks. I cannot unlock it again, except I drive backward. The brake adjustment is proper, had always a nicely balanced braking rate. Master and wheelcylinder are obviously dry, no liquid leakage visible. brakehosing is intact too. brakeshoes and lining looks thick enough when I check through the inspection gap. Does anyone know if this is a known phenomenon with Kaiser 51? Thanks and regards, Adrian, Bülach - Switzerland

Adrian Birrer
KFOCI # 6103
Switzerland Europe
K51 Deluxe Europe Edition & K52 Manhattan Rotterdam built

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: K51 Front brake drum jamming (blockade)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »
I have the same problem on my '53.   It seems to have worked itself out and hasn't done it in a while.   My master cylinder has a slight leak so maybe there's a connection.   

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »
It's an on-going issue with my cars.  They're stored all winter in a shed with a dirt floor. Seems every spring I'm rebuilding wheel cylinders.  It's the temp/humidity extremes and the fact that the car sits for 6 months over the winter. Usually driving the pistons out of the cylinders and buffing them off takes care of it.  Not a fun job but not a hard job either. Especially on the front ones. You will get dirty!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
I had this before and it was due to improper brake adjustment and/or the drum being out of round. Back off the shoe away from the drum a little and then check your brakes to see what happens. I suspect the drum.

Wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:28:40 AM »
New return springs and cylinder cleaning fixed mine just fine.