Author Topic: aligning clutch  (Read 1957 times)

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
aligning clutch
« on: September 03, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »
    I'm unable to align clutch on my 4 cyl. Have used universal-type tool and have tried to eyeball it also with no success and much foul language. I don't have a dummy shaft and no tool came with clutch kit. Don't recall having this much trouble with the few other clutches I've changed on other cars. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: aligning clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:35:32 AM »
I've done two clutch replacements on Henry Js in recent  years. The most recent was last April. Without some type of aligment tool, it would be very difficult.
The question I have for you is, is the engine in the car or out of the car?  If it's out,  you could remove the clutch housing and the loosen the bolts (slightly) that hold the clutch on the flywheel. Then line up the trans and wiggle  into  place and line it up so the trans shaft goes all the way into the bushing in the flywheel. Then tighten the bolts on the clutch pressure plate, pull the trans off and re-install the clutch housing and it should all line up.
If the engine is in the car, it will be difficult as you would already know.
I have a spare HJ pilot shaft that I used to do it -

Where are you located?
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:26:21 PM »
     Thank you Fid, I'm in northern Illinois and the engine is out of the car. That's a good idea to remove clutch housing. Looks like four bolts should do it. I'll work on it later this week and/or when my blood pressure returns to normal.
     Thanks again, John M.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »
I'm in Minnesota so I thought if you were close, perhaps you could borrow that spare shaft and get it done but if it's out of the car you should be able to do it faster with the said method. The first time I did was back in 2001 and I just pushed the trans in and wiggled it till I could get one of the four bolts started. When I did, I tightened it as much as I could, then tried another one and eventually I got all four in and it lined up. 
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »
    Fid, I used your idea and discovered why the clutch and shaft were'nt aligning. The shaft won't fit into the new pilot bushing. It fit okay before it was pressed into the flywheel but the I.D. must have shrunk (?) when pressed in. Can bushing be reamed in place on engine or should I remove flywheel again?(ugh). I've never used a reamer before. Should I measure O.D. of shaft and get appropriate size reamer? Thanks for your input.John M.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
That's interesting. I've never had that happen.  Just as you, I put the bushing on the trans shaft first to see if it fit. When I knew for sure that it did, I pressed it into the flywheel. I'm surprised the size would change that much.  You probably could ream it while the flywheel is installed on the engine. I'm not sure what you might use to ream it.  A cylinder hone may work but it may take a while with using one.  Is it possible the bearing has a burr on it from when it was pressed in? If so, a bit of filing with a round file may take care of it. As far as a tool, I couldn't suggest anything to use. Perhaps someone on here will see this and have a suggestion. Otherwise, I bought the bearing I used on ebay from the seller who goes by ID stude4x4.  I see right now that seller has no active items.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 04:46:22 PM »
    Fid, decided to try the old bearing. It looks to be in good shape with no scoring and fits well. Used your suggestion of putting housing on first after lining up disc with trans shaft and everything fit together nicely. Hopefully I'll get motor in soon and get this Allstate up and running before the Illinois snow starts flying.
      Thanks always for your valuable advice. John M.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »
Great. Best of  luck.  An Allstate is a rare car so it will be good to another one on the road soon.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe