Author Topic: radiator frame  (Read 2144 times)

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
radiator frame
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »
     Putting front sheet metal back together on allstate after replacing engine(BTW thanks for everyone's help with that).
Can't remember where the heavy rubber "spacer" goes. It's either between the rad. frame and the cross member or perhaps below crossmember.If it goes between it seems like it would make the rad. frame too wobbly.and too high for the fenders to line up with the rad. frame. Does the rad frame sit directly on the crossmember? If so, then where does rubber spacer and rectangular metal plate go? Don't want to put it in wrong- too many things to take apart again if put in wrong.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: radiator frame
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
I'm not sure I know exactly what you're refering to but here's an image from the Henry J parts book. Let me know if it helps -

And here's a couple of photos I took back in '04 when I had the radiator out of my '52. They may help as well

and
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:31:12 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
     Yes, in diagram it's #'s 21-24. 21 is the bolt that holds down the radiator frame and from the looks of it the frame sits directly on crossmember and the squarish rubber spacer and thin metal plate go below crossmember. Can't figure out purpose of rubber piece if it's below x-member. If it were between rad. frame and x-member it could serve as a cushion but would make frame unstable and  higher than it should be to attach to the fenders.
     Speaking of fenders- where the two battery stand brackets attach to the inner fender- are they held  in with the regular bolt and clip? or do they have through bolts and nuts? Seems it would be stronger with bolts and nuts. Thank you, John M.

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 05:17:24 PM »
IF YOU LOOK AT THE PARTS BREAKDOWN CLOSER , THE HEAVY RUBBER PIECE GOES BETWEEN THE FRAME FOR THE RADIATOR AND  CROSS MEMBER . THE WASHER AND NUT GOES BELOW THE CROSS MEMBER . I JUST TOOK MINE OUT FOR A CLEAN-UP .

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
       That is sort of how I remember it when I took it apart a year plus ago. Putting   it back together it seemed odd to have the thick rubber between the rad. frame and x-member as it makes the frame teeter. Also it appears to raise the frame higher than the fender attachments (I had the right fender completely removed at the same time). I wonder if maybe I should reassemble (attach) the right fender first before putting rubber piece in place. Then I could possibly lift the frontend enough to get it in place rather than lifting each fender  to meet the raised frame. Anyway thanks for clarifying where the rubber piece belongs. That helps a lot and now I can proceed.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »
It just occured to me that I could just go out to the garage and look at mine. Yes, that is the way it is - rubber pad between radiator frame and crossmember, metal plate on the under side.
I held the camera down under the engine and pointed it at the radiator so it is tipped a bit but you can see how it is. (That's the fan belt and vibration damper in the foreground)
As far as I know, this one has never been removed so...
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:53:12 PM »
     Fid, I have zero technical abilities on the computer so I'm always amazed at how you resource and send the info and photos you do to folks who need help like me. Your photo shows clearly what I was wondering about even better than the parts diagram. Your extra efforts are deeply appreciated.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »
Back in the old days rads were bolted in by a row of bolts on each side,then the discovery was made that flexing of the body was cracking the rads so they started to isolate them from the body what you have is the start. Look how a rad is supported today, it sita in rubber lined seats at the bottom with a single support in the middle at the top