Author Topic: 51 Frazer Manhattan Gas Leaks  (Read 1705 times)

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
51 Frazer Manhattan Gas Leaks
« on: November 18, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »
I recently purchased a 51 Frazer Manhattan.  It is my understanding that the car had been sitting in dry storage for several years (maybe decades?).  The car is in great driving condition, so after making sure it was road-worthy, I have been driving it on nice days.  However, after driving it on about a 50 mile round trip and filling the tank completely full for the first time last weekend, I noticed that gas was leaking under the tank.  It's a slow drip, but it makes a pretty good puddle if I let it set for a while.  Then, about Wednesday, without me driving the car or even starting it, a steady stream began leaking somewhere around the fuel pump.  Last night, a friend and I (both new to Kaiser-Frazers and classic cars in general) inspected it as well as we could without any way to get the car up off the ground.  The rear drip has stopped, but it looks damp all around the place where the tank meets the frame.  We thought maybe the hose that goes from the tank to the fuel pump would be leaking, but it did not appear to be leaking at all by the tank.  We did not see the hose that comes into the tank to fill it at all from our vantage point though.  The leak in the front continued for a day or two after the back leak and only stopped because we removed the fuel line and plugged it with a bolt last night.  It looks as though the seal where the bottom part of the fuel pump comes together is wet on the outside of the pump, and the fuel is, of course, dripping off the bottom of the fuel pump.  I am wondering if some of you who have more exprience with these cars could offer any suggestions about what the problems might be.  Do I need to rebuild the fuel pump?  What could cause the leak back by the tank?  I do know that my fuel pump is the two part one that has the vacuum booster for the wipers, if that makes any difference.

Thank you in advance!  I love this car, and I hope to get it driveable again soon with your help.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 03:39:20 PM by 51FrazerManhattan »

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 51 Frazer Manhattan Gas Leaks
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »
Yes, the fuel pump will need attention. Unfortunately, today's gasoline is quite different than the stuff sold when KFs were new. Todays fuel attacks rubber seals and gaskets so leaks like what you're seeing are all too common. About the tank leak, it's possible that it's leaking at the seam where the top and bottom are joined, or perhaps where the line exits the tank. It's a metal line and is located in the front of the tank (facing the front of the car). I would take the car somewhere where they can diagnose the issue safely.

As for the fuel pump, check this link. This guy does good work at reasonable prices. http://maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 Frazer Manhattan Gas Leaks
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »
Thanks for your help.  You confirmed what I was already thinking.  I'm going to replace the fuel pump today and then take it to a mechanic to deal with the tank.