Author Topic: Antique Insurane  (Read 2495 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Antique Insurane
« on: December 14, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
Does the KFOCI have a antique car insurance recommendation? I am looking for suggestions
from members also. I have heard of J C Taylor and some others, but recommendations from
members I feel is the way to choose. Thanks.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Antique Insurane
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »
I have used Hagerty for about 10 years now with 2 claims. They have paid faster then lightning and with no strings attached. Just give them one estimate from whom ever you want to use for the repair.  Rates are very low compared to a regular insurance company. I have recommended them to many of my friends. 

amkfken

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:56:05 PM »
I have 6 vehicles with J C Taylor, you set the value of each, all 6 PER YEAR full coverage is less than liability for 6mo on my 96 Jeep Gr Cherokee.
Note mileage restrictions on all policies! I have had no claims since 1977 inception of policy.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:43:19 AM »
Barbara has between 20-30 years experience working in claims, compliance and other areas of the insurance industry at the company level so I value her opinion on this stuff.  I started using State Farm long before I met her because I wanted to work with one company who's reps are company employees (any statement made by an independent producer--agent--is worthless unless backed up in writing by the insurance company).  She looked at Taylor and others & decided that what I had was not bad at all and premium prices seem to be competitive. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:49:21 AM »
I am in the automobile insurance industry and today, with lots of players in the field, prices are generally the same across the board. It boils down to the fine print...things like mileage restrictions, what is and is not covered, and the claims resolution process. As was previously stated, find out what the company...not the agent...will do for you in the event of a loss then make an informed decision.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 07:09:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info. I have been with State Farm for over 50 years, but they are telling
me I must pay full coverage rates until the car I have is fully restored. At that time I can then apply
for "antique" status with lower rates with a mileage restriction and non work use etc. etc. I don't
understand this and the new agent (my old one just passed away) can't explain it either. I am
not happy with this as you can imagine. The state of Illinois has given me antique plates already.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »
Try Hagerty, they've always been helpful with the Amphicar crowd. They will even cover water recovery, and they offer "restoration" coverage where you can up the coverage as work is completed.

Gary.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »
Thankfully, we in Canada have what many consider to be a superior insurance called "Silver Wheels"  For those of us who have gone into it thoroughly, it beats both Haggerty and J C Taylor. We are not looking at all kindly at moves by American company Haggerty to try to buy out Silver Wheels. We know sure as shooting that coverage would be less and more restrictive and also much more expensive than what we have now.

That being said, I understand from the Americans I know in the antique auto clubs, that overall Haggerty is slightly more satisfactory

KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
The KFOCI is not allowed by its "working papers" to endorse anyone or anything.  It is also highly restricted in the area of fundraising in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws as well as applicable IRS regulations.

However, there is nothing wrong with individual members talking about their experiences.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »
Thanks KFlibrary: Your last sentence is exactly what I was looking for.