Author Topic: Bakelite 51 Frazer  (Read 1325 times)

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
Bakelite 51 Frazer
« on: December 27, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »
While driving my 51 Frazer Manhattan the other day, the bakelite on the end of the shifter crumbled in my hand.  Do any of you know if those pieces have been reproduced at all or if they are compatible with other models that have been reproduced?  My Manhattan has the 3 spd. with overdrive, if that would have any bearing on the shifter rod or the bakelite at the end of it.  Mine is the cream or off-white colored one with silver metal at the end.

Also, my steering wheel is quite cracked.  Any word on having that redone or finding replacement steering wheels?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Bakelite 51 Frazer
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
At the moment, neither item is being reproduced. The shift knob can be replaced with one that fits the lower line cars...it does not have the chrome band and is in the standard ivory color, but it will fit.

There has been some talk of having steering wheels done for the upper line cars, however, the cost of stripping the old material from usable cores, coupled with the cost of the mold for new castings, has kept the project only at the conversation stage. We'd have to have 100 wheels done to make them cost effective...and we'd have to sell at least half up front to recoup some of the cash outlay, and honestly I don't think 50 people would commit up front. We learned that the hard way with the 51-3K wheels...

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »
I have repaired several steering wheels that are just cracked (not falling apart) with JB weld. Clean the cracks with needle files. It takes more than one application as the weld shrinks as it cures. Sand and paint. I have the paint done at a body shop and topped with clear coat. I found rattle can paint doesn't hold up.

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for the bakelite on the shifter.  I may try the JB Weld thing eventually.