Author Topic: 1953 Kaiser Manhatten  (Read 7241 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Kaiser Manhatten
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »
Roadmaster49: 1953 produced two gorgeous American cars, the Kaiser Manhattan and the Studebaker 2-door hardtops and coupes. No other American cars came close to these two that year. As partial as I am to Kaisers, those two Studies have a bit of an edge. Of course, when it comes to interiors, Kaiser has it all over everyone! Studebaker interiors were just plain boring.

Ah yes, thanks for the correction.  Clearly the Studebaker was a great looking car. I was mentally focused on GM, Ford and Chrysler, all dogs compared to the Kaiser (and I am Buick Club member and WP Chrysler Club member). Even the other independents were lagging badly. Take Hudson with a 5th year body and Nash.  Packard? eh, OK but not on KF's level.

I think the beauty of the 2nd gen cars which started in 1951 was the ability to add style to the 51 basic body. We have discussed previously 51 versus 53/54 but I can easily look at either and find them attractive variants on a good theme.

53 Buicks were nice looking cars but lacked integrity front to back, meaning they had styling flaws. Chrysler styling before Virgil Exner, well, it was a styling by committee car and even their President finally admitted defeat. 

But Studes were fresh - in the 2 door variant. I have never seen a Starlight 4 door I cared for.  They were clearly designed as a 2 door coupe.  So, KF still was the best overall designed car in 1953, with a nod to Studebaker for coupes.
No old cars owned.

custom59

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 05:19:55 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd give you all an update on my '53 Manhattan.

As you can see from the previous posts she used to be Steve Lloyds and his fathers before him.

Steve was a great guy to meet and more than honest, both in his description of the car and
in all my dealings with him.

Not long after I got her home to Australia I bought a new home and with the move and all
she was put on the back burner for a while.

I have put her on the road about 6 months ago after renewing all the suspension and brakes,
resealing the fuel tank, reconditioning the carby, and in the last couple of months upgrading
the full interior. Not to original but to our liking with a nod to the original design.

We love it even more now and with summer coming up over here we plan on driving the wheels
off it in the next 6 months.

Here are a couple of pics to show you one of the few Kaisers in Australia.

Mal.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:25:24 AM by custom59 »

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »
It looks very nice!!
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 10:44:06 AM »
As long as everybody knows the interior is not factory correct, the car looks great.

G'day Mate!