Author Topic: 53 Manhattan Headlight Adjustment  (Read 967 times)

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
53 Manhattan Headlight Adjustment
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »
I am the headlights presently and find two adjusting screws in each headlight socket.  Where can I find these adjustment screws , the little ears have been broken off.  Is there any spring adjustment once I get the headlights installed in their receptacle?  The shop manual does not really show the install parts required.

Thanks

Mark

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 53 Manhattan Headlight Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
There is an inner and outer headlight dish-the inner holds the bulb and is to be pointed in the correct direction. It is held in the outer casing by what appears to be two coil springs attached together at one end. Putting this all together is a booger and a half. This results in the inner shell being held by spring pressure against motion in all directions. The adjusting screws you refer to allow one to move the beam direction up or down (top screw) or left right (side screw.) The ears you refer to are actually little speed nuts that the screw threads through to clamp to the inner casing. These appear to be broken on yours. If you can't find any new ones, it is possible to improvise with other components. What you want to achieve is moving the inner casing in and out when you turn the adjusting screw. The manual does not exactly show this.