Author Topic: What makes a Carolina a Carolina?  (Read 19114 times)

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What makes a Carolina a Carolina?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »
This car has rear arm rests . DeLuxes only have front arm rests. Carolinas probably do too.  Rear opening vents were added. I dont know about the locking glove compartment. I've seen ones with no key hole but dont know what model they belong on. The dash etc has been painted grey.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »
There appears to be a hanger hook on the rear inside window surround.
Don't remember seeing that in the available parts list.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
I know of a 53 Dragon that Quality control missed the hanger over the rear door. You could feel the plate behind the Headliner. I thought someone lost it or need it for another vehicle. But No hole in the Bambu Vinyl so it never had one instilled ???
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:26:41 PM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »
My 53 DeLuxe doesn't have hanger hooks. A Carolina wouldn't either. I dont know if the hooks are supposed to be mounted on the window frame or above it on a two door Manhattan.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »
Our 2 Door 53 Manhattan has no hanger hooks.   I think that hook is an aftermarket add on.  Mark it NONKF.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

vt2000driver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »
i understand that the Carolina might have had 1 sun-visor but why in the parts book does it say that 2 are used in the car?  please help as i have no idea.   and yes i do understand that some things that kaiser did were very strange. to tool up to make an outside hood release? ( don't think it was cost effective!)
1953 traveler (long gone)
1949 Bermuda tan (still in California not mine)
1953 Manhattan (parts car long gone)
1947 special (modified) Linda's
1953 Carolina my first Hydra-Matic not on road yet
1951 $520.00 delux with whiskey under front seat!

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »
Good catch ... the Carolina Parts List does say 2 Sun Visors were used made of Ribbed Grain Cardboard.   
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »
Before you mark anything NONKF, be sure you check the parts book for status.  Unless you are the original owner of the car or knew the car all its life, you have no way of knowing if something was missing and should be there or be there but is missing.

That's another reason why owners should have the correct service information and factory parts books (including Parts and Accessory information) for their vehicles.   Otherwise you would not know that full wheel covers could be "correct" for 1952-53 Deluxe models and 1951 Kaiser specials (using the Kaiser Deluxe type cover).  There are a few other dealer installed or factory installed items (for cars delivered retail) not found on the normal option list.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
I agree with everything you stated Jack. The only problem is that some (most) of the Judges never ask the owner of the car if they have documentation. The owner does not find out what was marked off until the awards are handed out. I was marked off for a Non-KF Spare Wheel Cover on my Continental Tire Kit, on my 1952 Henry J Vagabond. I was standing next to my car the whole time it was judged. You are probally aware that the Continental Tire Kit is an 'Option' on the 1952 Henry J Vagabond. So would it fall under the same category as an accessory and should not be judged? If it should be judged, then the judge should have made inquiries as to if it was correct or not prior to deducting points. I am sure that most judges have not seen to many CT Kits on HJs. The cover was a reproduction made off an original CT HJ Cover. In fact the one it was made from was on the HJ just a few cars down from mine.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 05:10:30 AM »
The bigger problem is that the membership of this club lets the judging process fall apart year after year.  I see nothing coming out of the Business Meeting that indicates the issue of fixing the problems with judging is ever brought up.  I would love to be corrected on that point. 

The system I proposed years ago required judges to leave a copy of the judging sheet with the car when judges were finished AND that all members would have access to judging information as a restoration/upgrade tool. 

As long as there is apathy on this point, nothing will change.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »
Jack,
I like the idea of giving a carbon copy of the judging sheet to the car owner immediately after the judging. That way the owner has the ability to contest a mismarked item (like points off for non-stock when it may have been stock) before the awards ceremony. Gives the owner a chance to present documentation, too. Most of the judges don't talk to the owner while their car is being judged. That should change so we end up with less mistakes and less hatred for the judges.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Tom N

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
As pointed out in an earlier post, some items found on a Deluxe could also be added to a Carolina by the dealer at extra charge.  My Carolina has bumper "bullets", "bananas", 2 sunvisors, a clock AND a horn ring.  No side chrome or script, one interior light, the smaller hubcaps plus Henry J door handles , window cranks and 52 style headlight rings.  I believe this car came out of Missouri and once belonged to a Funeral Director..maybe someone knows more of its history.
Tom N. #6539
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:24:38 PM by Tom N »

vt2000driver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »
first i will not be there this year but as a used judge i agree with "areoman" (I like the idea of giving a carbon copy of the judging sheet to the car owner immediately after the judging.) when i was first judged i got judged down for a nonkf for the package tray in my traveler.
but back to the carolinas.....is there a place you can get pictures of the interior that is correct?

vt2000driver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »
[  This is the hood release for the Carolina.  Is this unique to the Carolina or are the Deluxes like this also?
[/quote]

the hood release you show is the carolina only hood release. wrong for the deluxes

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 11:23:53 PM »
Both my 53 Manhattans have had Electric Wipers.  I have now seen two Carolinas with Vacuum Wipers one feed from the fuel pump and one feed from the Intake Manifold.  Which way would be "normal" if there is such a thing with Kaisers   :).  I understand 53 Deluxes also had vacuum wipers.  Are Vacuum wipers a cheaper option??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster