Author Topic: Door window trim glass seals  (Read 1505 times)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Door window trim glass seals
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:13:08 AM »
I know there was a recent thread about attaching the window wiskers and I've read that.  The tread included the clip #2348 but what part number whisker weatherstrip (flat piece) and glass run channels (U shaped) did you guys order from Restoration Specialities? 

Any additional comments or suggestions about attaching both?  I've taken all of the inner and outer window trim off my 54 Kaiser in preparation for paint and see the staples used in the outer window trim pieces (oh my!)...

Thanks guys...Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Door window trim glass seals
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »
I used Resto supplies 8L for the channel-this is listed as the one for Kaiser and works OK. I believe I used YM3, which is sort of a universal for the belt strips. This is stainless beaded-they also have an unbeaded, M123 which is listed for Kaiser, but it didn't seem to me that it was really wide enough. The clips for the inside moldings are 2348. Try not to buy the 96" lengths for the strips, as it sends the shipping into orbit. Resto has the channel clips too, but they are $$ so preserve what you can.

I didn't like the looks of the staples, not having anything that would appear able to drive them through steel. I have tried both small machine screws and Al pop rivets. The latter seem to have a lower profile, and being Al less chance of damaging the glass. I run a bead of cement first, and it seems to work OK with just a few mechanical fasteners instead of the number of staples used.

Overall this is about the worst job I've encountered in the whole restoration process. Has taken forever (to a great extent figuring how to do it) Getting the glass back in and all lined up with the new fat (tight) whiskers is a real struggle in itself. Bon chance.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
I used a very small drill bit (1/16) and enlarged the old staple holes. This allowed the new
staples from RS to fit nicely. I used the old "cat whiskers" as a pattern on top of the new ones
to drill holes in the new ones. The whiskers tend to wrap around the drill bit, so a small nail
works well if you put a block of wood below the cat whisker to support it and drive the nail
through. After one window you'll get the hang of it, and the rest will go easier. Drill the
stainless window trim from the underside so as not to mar it with the drill chuck.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
The advantage to the rivet/glue approach is that one doesn't have to remove the stainless strips-I found this to be more than problematic here in the rust belt. For some reason I found no problem with drilling through the whiskers-wonder if more than one type is in play.