Author Topic: Help, Does this sound like a scam?  (Read 4693 times)

DylanFan

• View Profile
    • Email
Help, Does this sound like a scam?
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »
I have my 1951 Henry J for sale on Auto Trader Classic and I received an email asking if I still had the car.  I replied that I did still have the car.  Then I received this email:

Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this Vehicle as a Birthday gift for my Dad? as  I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm an Oceanographer and i am presently on a contract which will end in couple of months,the contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area,but I'm able to access my mail through my laptop and my only quickest payment option is PayPal,its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the pay pal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount.
If you don't have an account with paypal,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to www.paypal.com and sign up.I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? as my Dad's birthday is fast approaching,am sure he will love this vehicle,his a mechanic and a handy man,so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it.
I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks.

Maria.

Does that sound like a scam to you?  I don't know how someone could scam a person using Pay Pal!  I'd like to sell the car but this sounds too good to be true!

DylanFan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help, Does this sound like a scam?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »
There are a couple of grammer errors in the email that worry me but I'm not sure why!  I hope this offer is legit!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
THIS IS A SCAM! The buyer will, more than likely, "deposit" more than the asking price into your account and ask you to give the excess as payment to the mover...who's really in on the scam. Then, once you've done that...and handed over title and the car...the transaction will bounce and you're left with nothing. Unless the buyer shows up with cash in US currency, do not release the car to them. Again, THIS IS A SCAM!

Also, anyone on board a boat who has internet access, also has Skype access. This is an internet phone and is free to use. I wouldn't walk away from this deal...I'd run!

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 04:30:38 AM »
Have to reply to this!  Having spent a career in the Navy in the 'old' days prior to the internet,  a ship at sea ALWAYS HAS COMMUNICATIONS especially in remote areas where the internet might not be able to follow.  I agree with you about the grammar errors.  Might be on the up and up but I seriously doubt it.

Barry

DylanFan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 06:03:42 AM »
Thanks, I didn't like the sound of this email and I forwarded it to Pay Pal! It was sent to spoof@paypal.com.  I gotta run as the truck is here to pick up my car.  The driver just gave me a notorized IOU so as soon as I sign the title we are good to go!  LOL!

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »
I have got Pay Pal stuff before... It has always been a scam because I don't use them...
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »
If you use Paypal I have always found it to be safe and instant and they will notify you when the money is in your account.  I have almost five thousand Paypal transactions and have never had a problem but know your buyer!  The deal sounds almost too easy and the spelling errors from a professional are a little suspicious!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
You can be scammed with someone using "PayPal".
One way is they send you an email from a fake, but real looking PayPal.  You think you have the money, but the link is a scam.
Google "PayPal scams" and you will be surprised how cleaver theifs can be.

In the past few years, I have sent suspicious emails to "spoof at PayPal"  8 were scams, 1 wasn't!

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »
I have got Pay Pal stuff before... It has always been a scam because I don't use them...

I have not used them Yet but may in future. But if You have not used them Yet & they say You have a bill or something You know something wrong.

I would get a line like Your Immediate Attention is need on Your pay Pal account. I would go ??? I have not used You Yet.
I contacted Pay Pal & they said You got a spam. Don't respond.....
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
There are a couple of grammer errors in the email that worry me but I'm not sure why!  I hope this offer is legit!

The misspelling of "grammar" worries me.  I hope this comment is legit!  ;)

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »
I guess there was no sale?
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h