Author Topic: Marie Nichols Laguna Cloth and Bambu Vinyl  (Read 3884 times)

rex

• View Profile
    • Email
Marie Nichols Laguna Cloth and Bambu Vinyl
« on: May 14, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
Hello K-F Friends,

I am hoping to find some definitive answers to the availability of the interior materials to restore a Kaiser Dragon.  I was told that SMS had reproduced the Laguna Cloth for the Dragon, but when I called the girl told me they it was not available but that they would eventually make it--no time frame.  Based on my  past experience with that answer from them, I thought I could easily not live long enough!  The bambu vinyl, I was told by SMS could be ordered.  I also recall that years ago Mark Sorlie was making by hand some of the Laguna Cloth. At any rate, if someone could speak to this issue, I would appreciate hearing back. 

Best regards,

Rex Crews

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Marie Nichols Laguna Cloth and Bambu Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »
Rex,

I have asked SMS but found Our in the search engine to Look up K.F. Product would be to costly.
You need to look up Specialty Items to find some.       

Doug Pollock is the owner.

They will send samples as well...

info@smsautofabrics.com.    Ask Questions They will respond. Doug has always responded  Himself.

G.B.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

rex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:04:59 PM »
Hi, G.B.,

I could see the bambu vinyl on the website which they said was available, so now I am waiting to hear something about the elusive Marie Nichols Laguna cloth.  When I was in the club several years ago a member named Mark Sorlie was making it by hand, but I am not sure he's still doing this.  If anyone has ordered or knows about the cloth, please email me!  Thanks for your help, G.B.!

Regards,

Rex

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:41:03 PM »
Rex, whatr Dragon do you have?  What color and how much fabric are you looking for?  Good luck, that will be a tall order.  Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

glen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »
Hi,
I have my `53 Dragon up for sale and I have the Laguna cloth that was never installed.
When the car sells if they do not want the cloth, I`ll let you know.

glenn

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 05:02:33 AM »
Mark Sorlie continued a project started by his father.  Egil (I forget the spelling) was an electronic engineer (I think he was with Zenith in Chicago) and commuted to Mexico on a regular basis where he set up making the cloth on the side.  It was spot on and a number of Dragons were redone using the material.

Perhaps the weakest area for restoration of a K-F product is the fabrics.  Kaiser-Frazer had a lot of the special materials custom made for them by speciality looms that are no longer in business (such as Burlington Mills in Burlington WI which made "burtex" the material used on trunk floors of 1951-later Kaisers).

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
REX THE NEWBY INFORMED ME HE DIDN'T GO THRU WITH THE PURCHASE OF THE DRAGON AND NO LONGER IS PURSUING THE NEED OF THE LAGUNA CLOTH

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:00:27 PM »
I too will want some Laguna cloth, black on white, for my Dragon, but not for a few years as I am not restoring it yet.  I too thought SMS had it available, so this is valuable information to know.  I hope they get it soon, as it will be a must for a correct looking Dragon.

glen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:08:36 AM »
Hi,
If anyone is still interested in obtaining the cloth, I sold my `53 Dragon but still have the material.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:17:02 AM »
I have been on the waiting list for SMS fabric as well for the '53 Kaiser seats.  The attached shows my fabric on the bottom.   The one marked 'B' looks like a good match.   It looks like it would wear pretty well but the ETA for production is unknown, as of last week.   I've been checking back with them since before 2012.
Question:   Who would have fabric to match mine?   I'm going to find it elsewhere.   Thanks,  Jim

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 10:03:12 PM »
Check with Jim O Rourke, #8049 Cotati 94931 431 Christensen Ct He told me he had an order in for Green Luxura and was told they were going to run a batch the middle of this month.