Author Topic: 51 Manhattan Script and Speedomoter Cable  (Read 7110 times)

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
51 Manhattan Script and Speedomoter Cable
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »
My 51 Frazer Manhattan Hardtop is missing both of the Manhattan scripts that go on the back doors.  I'm having a hard time locating the specific script for 51 Frazer Manhattans.  However, I have seen the later Manhattan script (for the Kaiser models) for sale a few times.  My car is a good driver car and is pretty much original and complete, but it is not going to be a show car anytime soon (I have to save up some serious money before that can happen!), and I would really just like to find some script to fill the holes on the back doors for now.  People always notice those holes and ask questions about them.  Because my car hasn't had the script since I've owned it, and because I've never seen another 51 Frazer Manhattan in person, I don't know what the script is even supposed to look like.  Can anyone tell me how the 51 Frazer "Manhattan" script compared to the later Kaiser "Manhattan" script that went on the front fenders of those cars?  If they are different, would the Kaiser "Manhattan" script even fit in the holes on my car?  Or does anybody know where to obtain the original script?  I've tried Rudy Phillips and Mike Fleming.  Rudy has the mold but says he can't find a machine shop that will take it to make the script.  According to the 1951 Frazer Parts list, the KF part number for the original script was #207114, if that helps with the discussion at all. 

Also, I drove my car on its first long journey in a long time this weekend (about 125 miles total), and while it ran great and did well on the highway, the speedometer and odometer quit working suddenly.  I imagine I need the speedometer cable.  I looked in Rudy's catalog, and 51 Frazer with overdrive does not seem to be listed there (unless I'm mistaken, which is always a possibility).  Any ideas where I should check?  I didn't think it would be that hard to find a speedometer cable.

Thank you in advance!

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
Re: 51 Manhattan Script and Speedomoter Cable
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »
Maybe you can blow this up, I don't have photoshop on my computer. Here is a '51 Manhattan convertible and you can see the script. Lesser Frazers just had a Frazer script on the doors.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »
I blew up the picture attached and it seems fairly legible.  As I don't have access to the 1951 Frazer Parts book to be certain but I don't think it is the same as used in 1949/50 model years.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
1951 Frazer Parts Book is online for your usage.
http://circlekf.com/kflit/PM/kfpm510.html
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 01:51:44 PM »
On the picture from the Handbook, it looks like this one that is on Ebay right now and is labeled as fitting a 1949 model: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frazer-Manhattan-script-emblem-/290724078372?hash=item43b0816324&item=290724078372&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr.

However, on the picture of the black and white convertible, it looks like it is not underlined, which would be more like the later models, though the font seems to be different.  So could it be like the earlier Frazer Manhattan script?  I think the earlier one looks better, anyway.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »
If we had one to use as a pattern, I believe I may have a source to get the script made.   ;D

The condition of the top of the script or the chrome is not important, it's the outside shape.  This process will work if they're flat on top like the 52-55 "Kaiser" and "Manhattan" script.  Essentially, they are laser cut out of stainless steel, polished to a high gloss (looks just as shiny as chrome), with posts welded to the back.

It wouldn't work on the early 47-48 Frazer "Manhattan" script with the line underneath.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:03:29 PM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:36:35 PM »
That could be really helpful for me, and I'm sure others either need the script now or will in the future.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »
I could use the longer Manhattan that goes on the trunk of the '51 convertible and hardtop.  There appear to be small Manhattan scripts on ebay form time to time although perhaps for the Kaisers, but I never see that larger/longer scripts.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
On my trunk, there is a longer script that says "Frazer Manhattan," and while it is complete, it is cracked.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »
My configuration is the Frazer above the Manhattan.  They have stud insert issues but that's all I have.  I actually need another one but after searching for 5 years have not located one. 
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »
Any momentum here?  I believe that 51FrazerManhattan
that started this thread needs the shorter rear-door mounted '51 Frazer Manhattan scripts while we both could use the longer Manhattan script that installs on the trunk.  I have a trunk one that could be used for pattern. It is missing one or more studs but the marking is there where they go.

Doc

'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:06:53 PM »
Doc is sending me a used "Manhattan" script from the trunk to use as a pattern.  We still need the "Manhattan" script from the rear door and the "Frazer" from the trunk.  Anyone have a used piece(s) you can send?  It will be returned.

Thanks, Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
I do need the "Manhattan" script for the doors.  I have the "Frazer" script and am willing to try to remove it from my car and send it in if I can do it without breaking it.  Is that hard to do?

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »
Looks like Randy Owen's is sending the "Frazer" and "Manhattan" trunk scripts.  We need the "Manhattan" script from the rear doors.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 04:42:34 PM »
Try to get the trunk scripts in the mail this week. 
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan