Author Topic: National report  (Read 5652 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
National report
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »
In the course of my travels, I did take a side trip over to Sweetwater. Nice place, very nice weather and some fine looking cars. I believe there were about 30 of them there, including the Argentina (or was it Brazil??? I only know of IKA which was Argentina... were there others? Perhaps Jack can clarify) Willys which was really interesting to see:

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: National report
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »
The Willys Aero 2600 (Intermarity) was a product of Willis-Overland du Brasil which was the big South American Willys operation out of Sao Paulo.  When Ford Motor Company bought Kaiser-Jeep's share of the operation in the late 1960's, the Intermarity was still in production and for a time was produced as a Ford Motor Company product...the photos of the car with a "Ford" license plate are correct!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. The license plate had what appeared to be "Sao Paulo" on it  but of course, if it's in Portuguese it's hard to know what it really said. A couple of people there said Brazil so that would be correct. I was in Sao Paulo in 2009. The closest thing I saw to a collector car there was an old Volkswagen Beetle with a racing stripe.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Plenty of hot weather and lots of nice cars have made this a great week so far! The 2600 is a neat car as is the one off Willys Aero convertible. Built by Derham of Rosemont Pa, it's here too. Judging tomorrow!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:45:54 PM »
Sorry I wasn't able to stay longer Jim but I've been away from home a bit too long and have more traveling to do next week. It was nice to be able to stop in when I did. Perhaps next year I can even bring one of my cars.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »
OK, meet is just about over. Time for a recap especially with photos!
No old cars owned.

Chris Luecht

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jaxcham2
    • View Profile
    • Willow Run KF Parts - NOS, NEW, & USED Parts for Kaiser, Frazer, Henry J, & Darrin
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 09:17:53 AM »
I agree, I need some photos to get my KF fix for the week as I wasn't able to attend the National this year  :(
Christopher Luecht
KFOCI Life Member LM8866
Webmaster: http://www.kfclub.com
Email: webmaster@kfclub.com

Willow Run KF Parts
http://www.KFparts.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:44:45 AM »
Just back from the drive national...we took several detours to sightsee...and if you missed the convention, you missed alot! We had four convertibles in attendance, not counting the Darrins, a 12K mile original 49 Virginian, and several rare factory prototype cars too.

One car, billed as a 53 Willys Aero, was a factory commissioned convertible built by Derham for Willys. I saw, and had an opportunity to purchase the car many years ago. I passed and thought the car was junked when it turned up at the meet. It is being restored after literally breaking in half when pulled from the barn where I last saw it. I will post a pic once I get the chance.

There were 180 members and guests at the banquet, so many that we had to put the overflow in the hospitality room! Something like 45 cars were judged, with nearly 60 on the field on show day.

Plan now to attend next year's meet in Shipshewanna, Indiana...you'll be glad you did!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
But what about what happened at the Business Meeting?  What happened at the Board of Directors meeting?

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
Just a few notes on that Brazilian Aero Willys 2600:
The company name is Willys do Brasil and they were located in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Ford bought them out in 1967 and continued the Aeros until 1972 and the F-head engine continued in the Maverick (their replacement) until 1975.
The 2600 and the Itamaraty were separate models although the Itamaraty was just an up-trimmed 2600 with a little more horsepower.
The license plate actually said Sao Bernardo (dunno why) but it was a plate issued to the factory as the number is "AW-2600."
It was a re-skinning of the 1960-62 Aero Willys which was just the Toledo Ohio built 1955 Willys Custom 4-door transplanted to Brazil. Designed by Brooks Stevens, this car was from his collection and purchased from his estate by Bill Tilden, who so kindly shared it with us. He and Richard Forgay only got it running within the last two weeks for the first time in over 40 years. The tires are the original 50-year old Brazilian tires and the car only has something like 10,000 km on the odometer.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

KWZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »
Has anyone posted any photos of the National?  I was there, but by five year ol daughter managed to just get photos of grills and door handles.....  Next time I'll handle the picture taking. 
'48 Kaiser Special
'49 Kaiser Virginian
'51 Frazer Manhattan convertible

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »
I took many and posted on my Facebook page - how do I post on the KFOC website?
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 02:50:40 PM »
When you hit REPLY so you can post something here, at the bottom you will see ATTACHMENTS AND OTHER OPTIONS in the lower left corner.  Click on that and look for ATTACH as you go down the opened information.  BROWSE will let you navigate to whatever file you have pictures in.  Note the restriction for # of pictures and file sizes (plus total size). 

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:56:41 PM »
Here's some. (I prefer posting them via a link but it's not always easy to grasp)

1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

kdar353

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »
Darrin#353 just finished the day of judging at the Nationals = (1 of 5) at the show. Great event and well organized. Thanks to Rick and all who had a hand in this event.