Author Topic: My 1948 Frazer Standard  (Read 10980 times)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My 1948 Frazer Standard
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »
As the earlier octane boosters were pulled from the mix thanks to the EPA under the care of Mr. Ruckelshouse decades ago, other substitutes were developed but they had a problem which only got worse with time.  Today's unleaded regular gas turns to a gaseous state (evaporates) at a temperature at least 200+ degrees lower than gas did when our cars were new.  If we had a problem at GM with the Saturn Vue platform in the mid-1990's with a temperature difference (cooling of the fuel rail out at the AZ test facility) of only 43 or so degrees, imagine how much worse it is today at the lower temp (refer to GM Engineering Specification for unleaded regular fuel).  One alternative is to install an electric fuel pump (and there are plenty of areas to hide it from normal view) as the extra pressure ( up to double the pressure provided by a conventional vacuum pump) forces the liquid through in a means not unlike how the pump in your refrigerator keeps the coolant liquid as it circulates around the refrigerator coils) keeps liquid gas moving and the air bubbles as well so the engine is less likely to sputter.  It's still hit & miss just like all the other tales on fixes but I had good luck with it on the 1951 Kaiser business coupe when I had it.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »
we have it her in Georgia. 
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »
Your post is interesting kfnut. I'd like to see that article and read what it has to say. I can't imagine having to try to fix vapor-lock on a Henry J. We've owned dozens of them and I still own three and never, ever saw one vapor lock. On the big Kaisers it's always an issue to contend with but I've driven Js in 100 degree temps and never had one vapor lock, even with modern fuels. When I drove mine to Auburn in '04 I had to resort to regular fuel several times.  Hot July days - no vapor lock.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:16:04 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Babbers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 08:25:35 AM »
Hello to all:

I am a newbie on the forum! I just got a 1948 Frazer Standard, basically all original with 32,000 miles. I have only driven it once and it is going to the shop next week to get a few leaks fixed. The next "project" will be trying to locate a wiring harness for the car. Does anyone know where I can get a new harness? Looking forward to being a member of KFOCI !

Thanks to all,

Babbers

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »
I was looking through posts and didn't see this one from back in July. If you joined the club you likely saw Bob McBride's ad in the monthly bulletin - he does wire harnesses for all KF cars. He's done several for me. Nice work and original looking.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios