Author Topic: Heating up in the summer  (Read 1588 times)

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Heating up in the summer
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »
I dont think this is correct but when I am driving, even for a short distance, I can feel a lot of heat under the dash near my feet. It is almost like a heater is turned on. In the winter that might not be bad but it is in the 90s here.  I noticed that there is a hose that should be connected to an opening over the 'air conditioner'. (see picture)

Could having this hose disconnected be the reason that the car is getting hot air dumped in the car?

JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Heating up in the summer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »
Looks like an open heater or defroster hose but having a little difficulty getting oriented on the photo. 
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »
Sorry. I should have rotated the picture. I should have rotated the picture 90 degrees to the right then you would have the proper orientation. 
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »
The pictured hose runs up to the defroster vents. There's a knob on the dash with an 'H' on it...make sure it's pushed in all the way, as well as the one marked 'V' (vent). If either are not fully seated, then air will enter the heater box and as you drive, you'll get heat running back thru the car.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »
If I remember correctly, there is also a knob marked "AC" hanging from the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel. On my '48 Frazer, the sheath for the cable broke loose so when you pushed the "AC" button in, the whole cable assembly moved under the dash and as a result, the cable itself did not close the damper. I reached under the dash and pushed the entire cable back toward the seat so it was touching the back side of the hanger, then held the outer sheath on the cable so it couldn't move, then pushed the AC cable in. That took care of it.  I think a simple recrimping would fix it if that's the problem. 
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios