Author Topic: Removing Headliner  (Read 5702 times)

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
Removing Headliner
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:51:17 AM »
Well, I think I am going to pull the headliner out of my car.  Like I've mentioned before I probably won't be working on it till next year but the headliner really smells musky/moldy and I'm getting sick of the smell in the garage.  Before I pull it I have some questions.  Does anyone sell new headliners for them?  Cause it's going to go right in the trash as soon as I take it out.  Also, is there any tricks or tips on removing it?  I don't want to end up damaging the bows or anything. 

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Removing Headliner
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »
The 1951-52-53 HJ Shop Manual has information on installation/removal of headliners.  You find it in the BODY SECTION of that book.

Anyone with a HJ should have this item as a reference document along with the 1951 HJ Illustrated Parts List (green/black cover) and if appropriate the subsequently issued supplements dealing with later model year cars (the 1952 Vagabond book breaks out all the pieces for the factory Continental kit with a diagram; the combined 1952-53 lists--March 1953 better than the earlier dated one--does not show the exploded view).

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:26:27 AM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »
I was able to get a HJ Headliner from SMS. Save your Clips for the Bows. Put them in a VERY SAFE place as these are getting impossible to find.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Skipplehammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
I am also preparing to install a new headliner in my 1951 Henry J.  I have the shop manual to follow.  But I don't understand what the reference is to "wire-on-binding over door opening," in paragraphs 4 and 17, page 164, of the manual.  My headliner has been out for a long time.  I have all the bows and clips.  But, perhaps I am missing the "wire-on-binding?" 
1951 Henry J.
6 cyl, O/D
KFOCI # 5949

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »
The "wire-on" refers to the windlace. There are two things required to install the windlace - the shop manual/parts book refers them as "Wire-on" and "Weather cord" but most restorers and upholstery shops refer to them as "tacking strip" (wire-on) and "Windlace" (weather cord). The tacking strip is bendable and will stay formed while the windlace is a cord that goes under it.
See if this picture helps:

Also, the windlace/wire-on in a Henry J goes only around the door opening as shown in this picture. I've seen some where the restorer runs it over the rear seat window as well which is not how they were originally. If you don't care about that, it looks good, but if you're going for originality/authenticity, then it should only be installed around the door opening.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:59:24 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Skipplehammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »
Thank you for the explanation.  Now I understand.  I think it should be reasonably straightforward, so long as I can get a good kit.  I got all the gaskets for all the windows.  Just lately got an order from Rudy.  I plan to try SMS for the headliner.  Thanks again.
1951 Henry J.
6 cyl, O/D
KFOCI # 5949

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »
Thanks for all the info and diagram.  I cut the rear window out yesterday but decided not to cut the rest out till I asked another question.  Does the glass provide a lot of support for the body?  The reason I ask is because my floors were replaced and they need to be redone correctly as all the gaps are messed up and the doors don't fit right.  If I cut the windshield out, would that make it harder to line everything back up when I cut apart the floor and redo it?  Or won't it matter?

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 07:11:53 AM »
Go right ahead and cut the glass out and put it somewhere safe, away from sparks and debris from cutting and welding. Glass in older cars offers no "support" to the body. Newer cars use windshields as "structure" giving air bags something to slam against before you slam against the air bag.

Gary.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »
There are two types; one has five bows and one has six. I don't remember the distinction... I think the cars with folding rear seats  have 5 and the those with stationary rear seats have six. I have one of each but they're both in storage for the winter now -otherwise I'd just go out there and count them! AZ knows so wait till he comes on and replies.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
The 6 Bows came out in early 1952 to allow for more head room. There is a Service Bulletin out that covers this. It is not linked to whether the car has a fold down back seat or not, nor if it has a package tray.   (Note: Most HJ Vagabonds have the 5 Bow headliners)  It would be interesting to see if the early 1952 Henry J's (w/Autolite Electrical) and early 1952 Allstate (built on 51 Henry J Platform) have 5 or 6 bows typically.

1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 12:03:28 AM »
Yeah mine is long gone, it was really nasty.  Went straight from the car to the trash.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Number of bows
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
I have a '51 Deluxe with folding rear seat---6 bows!!